Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ethernet switch to connect PS3 and Xbox360 via 1 cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ethernet switch to connect PS3 and Xbox360 via 1 cable

Old 26-02-2010, 17:03   #1
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice
Ethernet switch to connect PS3 and Xbox360 via 1 cable

I'm a bit rusty on my networking skills, so thought I'd seek advice before making any purchases.

I currently have a PS3 and have been considering getting an Xbox 360 as well.

The cabled part of my current network setup is:

Code:
                                 +----+
                            +----+ PC |
+-------------+    +--------+    +----+
| Cable Modem +----+ Router |
+-------------+    +--------+    +-----+
                            +----+ PS3 |
                                 +-----+

I was going to go for an Amazon 360 deal which included the wireless adapter. I know cabled is better for gaming anyway, but a friend who already has a 360 told me that the wireless adapter can be 'a bit flakey' (his words, not mine) and advised me to go the cabled route.

However, rather than running a second ethernet cable, I'd like to make use of the one I've already got in place, and was thinking of using an ethernet switch (maybe something like this or this), giving me this setup:

Code:
                                 +----+
                            +----+ PC |
+-------------+    +--------+    +----+
| Cable Modem +----+ Router |
+-------------+    +--------+    +--------+
                            +----+ Switch |
                                 +--------+
                                 |        |
                                 |        |
                              +--+--+  +--+--+
                              | PS3 |  | 360 |
                              +-----+  +-----+

The router is a LinkSys WRT54GS, which does handle some wireless devices as well.

My questions are...

(a) will this work, and
(b) would it allow me to use both consoles at the same time?

When I say 'at the same time', I don't mean for playing games, obviously. I mean would I be able to leave one system downloading something, while using the other.

Thanks in advance.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2010, 17:46   #2
jem
Inactive

Services: Broadband only (Vivid 300)
jem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quads
Re: Ethernet switch to connect PS3 and Xbox360 via 1 cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoimia View Post

....snip....

My questions are...

(a) will this work, and
(b) would it allow me to use both consoles at the same time?

When I say 'at the same time', I don't mean for playing games, obviously. I mean would I be able to leave one system downloading something, while using the other.

Thanks in advance.

YES and YES

However doesn't the WRT54G have four lan ports? So why not use those instead of getting a switch?
Old 26-02-2010, 17:50   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Or Get a wireless adaptor for the 360.

Doesn't the PS3 have Wireless?

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 17:51   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
YES and YES

However doesn't the WRT54G have four lan ports? So why not use those instead of getting a switch?
At a guess the cable to the PS3 is long and the OP said he doesn't want to run another cable.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 17:56   #5
jem
Inactive

Services: Broadband only (Vivid 300)
jem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
At a guess the cable to the PS3 is long and the OP said he doesn't want to run another cable.

I should probably read the postings a bit better, but it has been a very long day!
Old 26-02-2010, 17:58   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I've successfully daisy chained three different switches off a WRT54GS to allow sufficient connections for computers and stuff during a LAN party. Your proposed setup will work just fine. After all the wired LAN network at 100mbps will remain faster than your internet speed. It won't be the single LAN cable between router and swtich that is any bottleneck, but your internet, even if both PS3 and Xbox were used together.

For gaming I'd always prefer a wired rather than wireless connection.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 18:36   #7
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Or Get a wireless adaptor for the 360.

Doesn't the PS3 have Wireless?
I was going to, until a friend told me it's quite flakey. (As I mentioned in my original post! ) I did originally have the PS3 wireless, but had some drop-outs mid-game, so went wired. Which is also why I want wired with a 360, if I get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
It's not so much the length of the cable... more the fact that a lot of heavy furniture had to be moved to install it, and I could really do without having to move it all again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I've successfully daisy chained three different switches off a WRT54GS to allow sufficient connections for computers and stuff during a LAN party. Your proposed setup will work just fine.
That's great to know - thanks!

Anyway, thanks all for the confirmations - at least I know I can do it if I get the 360.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 18:38   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

My Network is something like

Cable Modem->Linksys WRT54GS with sporadically connected WiFi devices and hard-wired Media PC->Home Plug->Mains Wiring->Home Plug->Switch with 2 PCs, Laptop, XBox 360 and PS3->CAT5 through the ceilling into next room->Switch with 2PCs, VOIP Phone, PS3

So yes I think your scenario will work
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote