Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Cutting Sky Cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Cutting Sky Cable

Old 20-02-2010, 05:15   #1
shep_3o
Inactive

shep_3o is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Cutting Sky Cable

Hi All,

New to the forum, however I've been lurking around for a while.

Just thought I'd post about an issue I had during my services installation to see, out of interest, if anyone else has experienced the same.

When the Virgin engineer came to install our services (we had all 3 with them after moving from Sky/BT) he cut the coax cable running from the Sky satellite dish and removed the connection box (not sure of the technical name) inside our home and ran the virgin line through the existing Sky drilled hole.

This happened about 3 years ago, and at the time we we're happy with what we were receiving from Virgin so didn't complain. It just recently came to light again as I've been looking at some of the packages Sky are offering and realised that should we decide to move over to them, we would have to pay another installation charge.

I can't see any technical reason why this should be done other than saving him drilling a hole. Virgins newsgroup support have said this isn't standard practice, but I wonder if any of you have experienced the same?

If so, did you complain? What happened?

Cheers,
Shep_3o
shep_3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2010, 10:41   #2
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Cutting Sky Cable

I suspect 3 years down the line you are going to be hard pushed getting anything for your "complaint".

Also, with Sky giving away a shiny new HD box for £49, you are better taking Sky up on a new customer offer rather than reconnecting with existing equipment.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 11:09   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I suspect 3 years down the line you are going to be hard pushed getting anything for your "complaint".

Also, with Sky giving away a shiny new HD box for £49, you are better taking Sky up on a new customer offer rather than reconnecting with existing equipment.
You can actually get it for free and many of the links here are offering free installation and a £25 shopping voucher.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 11:23   #4
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep_3o View Post
Hi All,

New to the forum, however I've been lurking around for a while.

Just thought I'd post about an issue I had during my services installation to see, out of interest, if anyone else has experienced the same.

When the Virgin engineer came to install our services (we had all 3 with them after moving from Sky/BT) he cut the coax cable running from the Sky satellite dish and removed the connection box (not sure of the technical name) inside our home and ran the virgin line through the existing Sky drilled hole.

This happened about 3 years ago, and at the time we we're happy with what we were receiving from Virgin so didn't complain. It just recently came to light again as I've been looking at some of the packages Sky are offering and realised that should we decide to move over to them, we would have to pay another installation charge.

I can't see any technical reason why this should be done other than saving him drilling a hole. Virgins newsgroup support have said this isn't standard practice, but I wonder if any of you have experienced the same?

If so, did you complain? What happened?

Cheers,
Shep_3o
They usually ask before doing this as most people don't want more holes drilled in their walls... when we got installed in this address the installer asked me if he could remove to roof antenna cable to run the (Telewest) VM cable through to save more holes in the wall - I agreed to it.

No doubt someones gonna post on here saying it's criminal damage etc

As others have said it's best getting a new box etc from Sky if thats the route you want to go down
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 23:39   #5
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

SKY HD will require new cable anyway
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 01:51   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
SKY HD will require new cable anyway
Unless the original install was Sky+ of course
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 20:57   #7
calmpitbull
Inactive

calmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to all

Yep the installer probably just wanted to save time drilling another hole

Sky do it to us as well which is very frustrating as sometimes you have to renew the whole cable because of this, I always drill an extra hole to stop any of this happening which is what should happen.

One of my pet hates!
calmpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote