Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Overloaded Server

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Overloaded Server

Old 15-02-2010, 14:40   #1
r-mo
Inactive

r-mo is an unknown quantity at this point
Overloaded Server

I just rang VM to ask whether something can be done about my poor internet connection

http://www.pingtest.net/result/10465987.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/712742313.png

I was told the server I connect to is overloaded. They said they were aware of the problem but didn't have a date for when it'll be fixed. Quite impressed that they actually told me all this! and also gave me £10 compensation, without me even asking for it.

Still I really want to get a decent connection ASAP and had been thinking about either upgrading from 10 to 20Mbps or getting a BT line put in and going back to ADSL. Question is will upgrading to 20Meg put me on a different server or will I just get the exact same problems?

Hope someone can help

Steve
r-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2010, 15:00   #2
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Overloaded Server

Upgrade will probably not assist - according to the ISP name on your tests you're already on the same equipment the 20M uses. It will, however, give you a shiny new 12 month contract.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 15:14   #3
r-mo
Inactive

That's sad news. I could really do without the £115 for a new line. Still adsl24 were top notch when I was with them before and from reading recent reviews it sounds like they still are
Old 15-02-2010, 15:32   #4
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Upgrade will probably not assist - according to the ISP name on your tests you're already on the same equipment the 20M uses. It will, however, give you a shiny new 12 month contract.
The older UBR equipment also shows up as Virgin Media on the tests now also.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mo View Post
That's sad news. I could really do without the £115 for a new line. Still adsl24 were top notch when I was with them before and from reading recent reviews it sounds like they still are
i have a friend who is with ADSL24 in Sheffield and he said they r great but is lacking slightly on support side.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 15:35   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
The older UBR equipment also shows up as Virgin Media on the tests now also.[COLOR="Silver"]
OK Understand - ex-ntl might ex-TW still doesn't.

r-mo if you get a BT land line on an 18 month contract or have already had a line you can get install for free.
Old 15-02-2010, 16:30   #6
r-mo
Inactive

Is there a way of telling whether it's an older UBR? I'm not even sure how to look up the UBR name, is it something to do with my hostname cpc2-nfds13-2-0-cust###.8-2.cable.virginmedia.com? It's Leicester LE2.

I don't have a BT socket in the flat so guess there hasn't been a line here. Not sure I'd want an 18 month BT contract either as I'm not absolutely certain how much longer I'll be living here.
Old 15-02-2010, 16:38   #7
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

well when u do move chances r u will be connected to a different UBR/BSR that wont be oversubscribed.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 16:49   #8
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
well when u do move chances r u will be connected to a different UBR/BSR that wont be oversubscribed.
Sadly not the case.

r-mo - as per my original thought you're already on the same network as you would be on 20Mbit, the newer equipment, so it won't get you anywhere to upgrade.
Old 15-02-2010, 16:51   #9
r-mo
Inactive

XD Thanks for that, going to be here for at least another 6 months though and I'd hope VM would have sorted it out by then!! I somehow doubt that I'd reconnect with them at a new address though...