Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I need advice on using a wireless router on a laptop please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I need advice on using a wireless router on a laptop please

Old 07-02-2010, 19:43   #1
cluelessones
Inactive

cluelessones is an unknown quantity at this point
I need advice on using a wireless router on a laptop please

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping that some of you more IT savy people will be able to help me out!

We bought a new laptop last weekend and a Netgear WNB2100 Wireless Router. We were assured it was simply a case of 'plug & go' and that we'd be able to use the laptop wirelessly in any room of our home.

However, after connecting it all up as directed, we now seem unable to get the net to work on the laptop - even when we're in the same room as the router & main PC.

We have managed to get the net on the laptop via the router for about a day, but the connection kept being lost. Today however, we can't seem to get the connection at all! The PC's connected to the net ok though.

The laptop's worked ok connected to the main internet connection, so we presume the problem must be with the router?

If any of you have any pearls of wisdom on how we can resolve this, we'd be forever grateful!

Many thanks in advance
cluelessones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2010, 20:07   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: I need advice on using a wireless router on a laptop please

hi, and welcome ,this may sound a silly question but have you turned the wireless on ,on the laptop
Old 07-02-2010, 20:16   #3
cluelessones
Inactive

Hiya,

Yes, it's on
We can see other people's wireless connections, and have had the net working wirelessly & directly on there.

We can see it sometimes saying there's limited access, or no access which is more the case now!

Thanks for replying!
Old 07-02-2010, 20:19   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessones View Post
Hiya,

Yes, it's on
We can see other people's wireless connections, and have had the net working wirelessly & directly on there.

We can see it sometimes saying there's limited access, or no access which is more the case now!

Thanks for replying!
do you get a "wireless connections are available" message if you hover over the wireless icon in task bar ?assuming you are using vista?
Old 07-02-2010, 20:24   #5
cluelessones
Inactive

Hi,

Yes we do get the "wireless connections are available" message. We're using Windows 7 though, not Vista.
Old 07-02-2010, 20:26   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

First ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router for a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into, now press the reset button in this hole for approx 15 seconds and this will reset the router.

Wait for all the lights to change back to green and then proceed onto the next section.

Connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : netgear and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon and click it and find to your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 21:36   #7
cluelessones
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
First ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router for a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into, now press the reset button in this hole for approx 15 seconds and this will reset the router.

Wait for all the lights to change back to green and then proceed onto the next section.

Connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : netgear and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon and click it and find to your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

Thanks for the information. I have tried doing this, with only one problem... The website does not recognise the password. I have tried all lowercase, all uppercase and capitalising the P. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again for your help with this.
Old 07-02-2010, 21:52   #8
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

If that's the default username / password then try resetting the router. There should be a pinhole reset at the back. Then try again.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 21:52   #9
martyh

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I have tried doing this, with only one problem... The website does not recognise the password. I have tried all lowercase, all uppercase and capitalising the P. Is there anything else I can try?

my netgear is ..(user)=admin ...(password)= password
Old 07-02-2010, 21:56   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Try using admin as the username instead of netgear

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
my netgear is ..(user)=admin ...(password)= password
Change the password ASAP, on my old Belkin I didn't and somebody from Australia hacked it, and locked me out.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 21:58   #11
Hirise
Inactive

Hirise is an unknown quantity at this point

i got my daughter an accer mini and had the same prob, i had to go and get it completely restored and it was brand new, now it works on wireless
Hirise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 21:59   #12
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Try using admin as the username instead of netgear

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Change the password ASAP, on my old Belkin I didn't and somebody from Australia hacked it, and locked me out.
i did ,but now i use the VM dlink which only has admin as user and no password so thats been changed as well
Old 07-02-2010, 22:37   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:

As Hom3r said the username is admin it should work after that.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 14:50   #14
cluelessones
Inactive

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for trying to help us.

We had to take the router back & have it changed for another one in the end!

Thanks again