Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Dir-615 fw upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM Dir-615 fw upgrade

Old 15-01-2010, 12:04   #1
gjbxxx
Inactive

gjbxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
VM Dir-615 fw upgrade

Apologies if this has been asked/answered...

Just had my 50MB installed and swapped my Belkin pre-n for new DIR-615. I noticed when trying to update the firmware that there is a VM proprietary fw version installed (D2) for which there is no update on the dlink site.
So 2 questions:-

1. Is the VM "slugged" in any way?. e.g I have read rumours that it restricts P2P by limiting the connections etc.

2. Can you use the Dlink official fw, is it any better and will that upgrade or overwrite and wipe your setting etc.?

OK 3 questions

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Oops another question re dir-615...

I use iPlayer quite a bit from my PS3. Should I enable the box to "Enable Multicast Streams"

Cheers.
gjbxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2010, 12:09   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: VM Dir-615 fw upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbxxx View Post
Apologies if this has been asked/answered...

Just had my 50MB installed and swapped my Belkin pre-n for new DIR-615. I noticed when trying to update the firmware that there is a VM proprietary fw version installed (D2) for which there is no update on the dlink site.
So 2 questions:-

1. Is the VM "slugged" in any way?. e.g I have read rumours that it restricts P2P by limiting the connections etc.
Don't know.

Quote:
2. Can you use the Dlink official fw, is it any better and will that upgrade or overwrite and wipe your setting etc.?
I am not familiar with the router, but Virgin have a habit of locking out non VM firmware on their other routers.
Quote:
OK 3 questions

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Oops another question re dir-615...

I use iPlayer quite a bit from my PS3. Should I enable the box to "Enable Multicast Streams"

Cheers.

Multicast will make no difference.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 13:48   #3
zing_deleted

my d link was stock as was the netgear
Old 15-01-2010, 18:27   #4
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
my d link was stock as was the netgear
My new D-Link 615 (from VM) seems to have standard firmware too.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 18:46   #5
zing_deleted

both mine are off VM
Old 15-01-2010, 19:35   #6
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
both mine are off VM
My previous one was a LinkSys that I bought years ago. VM sent me a D-Link when I upgraded to 20Mb.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 10:58   #7
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

The VM FW on my router is dated 1/5/09
The two FWs on the D-Link site for the 615 (B2 and D1) are both earlier than this so I'll stick with the VM FW although others have successfully installed D-Link FW.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 15:43   #8
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

I got the 50meg service installed yesterday and the my D-Link DIR615 is D2 and the Firmware is 1.00VG. I wonder if the VG is for VirGin so there is no firmware update on the D-Link site as mine aint a B2 or D1.
philwhite100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 19:25   #9
gjbxxx
Inactive

Ok,

Had the 50MB installed a couple of days ago and also decided to use the dlink router mainly because the VM engineer sort of insisted. He did not seem to have much of a clue about networking, IP etc (didn't know what a subnet was!).
Anyway seems to work OK. Speed is good, but I have noticed it doesn't seem to like P2P e.g bittorrent much. Researching this it appears the router has a 32 connection limit and it has just stopped passing traffic to/from internet a few times when torrents have been running, requiring a reboot.
Not that bothered as I dont use BT much but am concerned that other P2P traffic e.g gaming will be affected.
Anyone noticed this?

Cheers,

Gee
Old 17-01-2010, 19:43   #10
Eambo
Inactive

Eambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ok,

Had the 50MB installed a couple of days ago and also decided to use the dlink router mainly because the VM engineer sort of insisted. He did not seem to have much of a clue about networking, IP etc (didn't know what a subnet was!).
Anyway seems to work OK. Speed is good, but I have noticed it doesn't seem to like P2P e.g bittorrent much. Researching this it appears the router has a 32 connection limit and it has just stopped passing traffic to/from internet a few times when torrents have been running, requiring a reboot.
Not that bothered as I dont use BT much but am concerned that other P2P traffic e.g gaming will be affected.
Anyone noticed this?

Cheers,

Gee
Gee, I may want to have a chat with you! =-P I'm having this issue with gaming. Basically the router cuts out, stops transferring data, requires a reboot. You seem to know why this is occuring, care to explain? I've tried with four different routers and this issue has been happening for months! Any advice you can give would be fantastic, or even insight as to why this is happening.
Eambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 22:44   #11
gjbxxx
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eambo View Post
Gee, I may want to have a chat with you! =-P I'm having this issue with gaming. Basically the router cuts out, stops transferring data, requires a reboot. You seem to know why this is occuring, care to explain? I've tried with four different routers and this issue has been happening for months! Any advice you can give would be fantastic, or even insight as to why this is happening.
Do you have this router (dir-615?). I had a similar problem with my Belkin router but again only when using bittorrent programs and only over time. The problem seems to be that when the connection limit is reached the router does not release/recycle them and cannot accept any furher connections until the connect table is reset. Unfortunately on this class of router that means reboot.
I have a PS3 slim and for the PSN I have enabled uPNP. The only game I have played so far is Modern Warfare 2 and I didn't have to do anything as upnp opened the relevent ports.
I also have an xbox but although I can get signed into xbox live using upnp it reports that the NAT type is moderate so that may affect gaming.
Do you have a console or is it PC gaming?
Old 17-01-2010, 22:48   #12
Eambo
Inactive

Eambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do you have this router (dir-615?). I had a similar problem with my Belkin router but again only when using bittorrent programs and only over time. The problem seems to be that when the connection limit is reached the router does not release/recycle them and cannot accept any furher connections until the connect table is reset. Unfortunately on this class of router that means reboot.
I have a PS3 slim and for the PSN I have enabled uPNP. The only game I have played so far is Modern Warfare 2 and I didn't have to do anything as upnp opened the relevent ports.
I also have an xbox but although I can get signed into xbox live using upnp it reports that the NAT type is moderate so that may affect gaming.
Do you have a console or is it PC gaming?
Honestly I have just about everything hooked up to my router, so it's understandable why it's dying =-P I have this router, the Netgear, then a Belkin and a Sitecom, and they all do the same thing. I use it for console AND PC gaming.
Eambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 23:27   #13
Leonichol
Inactive

Leonichol is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?...e-GB/DLWrapper

I used 4.11 on my D2, even though it states its for the D1. Seems to work fine.
Leonichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 22:30   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Is there anything to be gained by switching to the standard 4.11 firmware ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 23:49   #15
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

No not really although there is a lot to be gained by switching to DD-WRT!
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote