Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Port Scan from Virgin DNS Server

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Port Scan from Virgin DNS Server

Old 04-01-2010, 10:23   #1
l_doddrell
Inactive

l_doddrell is an unknown quantity at this point
Port Scan from Virgin DNS Server

I have the following IPS alert from my Cisco box:

No.001 Dec 27 22:34:51 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.002 Dec 27 22:34:51 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.003 Dec 27 22:34:52 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.004 Dec 27 22:34:53 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.005 Dec 27 22:34:54 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.006 Dec 27 22:34:55 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.007 Dec 27 22:34:55 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.008 Dec 27 22:34:57 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.009 Dec 27 22:34:57 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.010 Dec 27 22:34:58 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.011 Dec 27 22:34:58 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.012 Dec 27 22:35:00 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.013 Dec 27 22:35:03 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.014 Dec 27 22:35:04 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.015 Dec 27 22:39:56 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.016 Dec 27 22:39:56 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.017 Dec 27 22:39:59 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.018 Dec 27 22:39:59 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.019 Dec 27 22:40:00 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)
No.020 Dec 27 22:40:01 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] UDP Packet - 194.168.4.100 --> (my external IP)

Anyone ever heard of Virgin doing this?
l_doddrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2010, 10:27   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Port Scan from Virgin DNS Server

How are you sure it's a port scan?

There are no port numbers listed there, if it is a port scan then I'd expect to see that same IP address sending packets to multiple ports on your IP.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06   #3
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

BTW, 194.168.4.100(and 194.168.8.100) are the Virgin DNS cluster addresses.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50   #4
l_doddrell
Inactive

l_doddrell is an unknown quantity at this point

I know. Whch is why I'm considering sending them a letter asking for an explanation.

As for which ports, I cannot tell. The log does not provide such data. Ultimately, it's not illegal, but I do think it's suspicious.
l_doddrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:57   #5
token
Inactive

token is an unknown quantity at this point

It's probably DNS traffic, given that it appears to be only UDP and taking into account the source. Possibly a broken NAT on your end?

You need to capture the packets before anyone will take it even half seriously.
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 13:04   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Good luck getting an answer to your letter, this behaviour is most likely either a) your IPS mis-interpreting legitimate behaviour of the DNS system, or b) something borked within your network which is causing legitimate DNS traffic to be misinterpreted, or c) some form of unintentional malformation in the DNS data packets originating from that server which is confusing your IPS, or d) the originating IP address (the DNS server) is being spoofed and the scans are actually not scans at all, but some form of (rather lame) DDOS against your IP, or e) the packets that appear to be coming from the originating IP address (the DNS server) is being spoofed to generate excess entries in your IPS/IDS/Firewall logs in order to hide other activity/scanning/hacking attempts.

Unless you can get more information from your logs and then, by combining that with other sources of information about the activity across your network, work out exactly what that traffic is you can't really be sure exactly what's going on.

If you approach Virgin complaining that you're getting UDP based traffic from one of their DNS servers targetted at your public IP address I suspect that they will most likely just ignore you - if you expect them to actually do anything about it you really need a lot more information.

My suggestion? Unless it's actually causing you a problem just adjust your network defences to compensate and then move on. If you can't, or won't, do that then you're going to need to do a lot more investigation and work to resolve this one.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 13:58   #7
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
Good luck getting an answer to your letter, this behaviour is most likely either a) your IPS mis-interpreting legitimate behaviour of the DNS system, or b) something borked within your network which is causing legitimate DNS traffic to be misinterpreted, or c) some form of unintentional malformation in the DNS data packets originating from that server which is confusing your IPS, or d) the originating IP address (the DNS server) is being spoofed and the scans are actually not scans at all, but some form of (rather lame) DDOS against your IP, or e) the packets that appear to be coming from the originating IP address (the DNS server) is being spoofed to generate excess entries in your IPS/IDS/Firewall logs in order to hide other activity/scanning/hacking attempts.

Unless you can get more information from your logs and then, by combining that with other sources of information about the activity across your network, work out exactly what that traffic is you can't really be sure exactly what's going on.

If you approach Virgin complaining that you're getting UDP based traffic from one of their DNS servers targetted at your public IP address I suspect that they will most likely just ignore you - if you expect them to actually do anything about it you really need a lot more information.

My suggestion? Unless it's actually causing you a problem just adjust your network defences to compensate and then move on. If you can't, or won't, do that then you're going to need to do a lot more investigation and work to resolve this one.
Sound advice there, you'd be very wise to listen, carefully.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 16:44   #8
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

I would expect its Virgin's DNS servers replying on different ports due to the security hole found in BIND and so it's more of a false positive from your IPS.
dev is offline   Reply With Quote