Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media XL Broadband - Upload speed query??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media XL Broadband - Upload speed query??

Old 17-12-2009, 14:18   #1
gavpre
Inactive

gavpre is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media XL Broadband - Upload speed query??

these are my results, just upgraded from L to XL mainly for an increase in upload speed.

on L BB i got 500kbps on speedtest.net but now ive upgraded ive only got an increase to 700kbps?? doesnt seem to be alot of an increase when my download speed has doubled!!

Just wondering is this the normal upload speed??
gavpre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2009, 14:19   #2
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media XL Broadband - Upload speed query??

yeah thats about right around 700kish
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 14:38   #3
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

768K on 20Mb and 1.5mb on 50mb, cable has always had shoddy upload, hope it will get better with upload trials going ahead
Old 17-12-2009, 14:49   #4
gavpre
Inactive

gavpre is an unknown quantity at this point

oh thats disappointing, i thought it would have at least been 1mb
gavpre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 14:50   #5
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

well there was talk of 20mb going to 1.5mb so fingers crossed.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 17:00   #6
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

They was rumours made by people who don't work for Virgin, the only offical annoucement about upload was the 10Mb trial.
Old 17-12-2009, 17:03   #7
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
They was rumours made by people who don't work for Virgin, the only offical annoucement about upload was the 10Mb trial.
Zero comments or anything substantive beyond that 'up to' 10Mbps was being trialled. All else is just speculation.

I've heard nothing at all about increases for anything apart from 5Mbps and 10Mbps having been tested on XXL in Huddersfield.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 17:20   #8
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

I really wish they would trial this in dudley, would like a 5Mb/10Mb upload speed for a while just so I can see the performance difference on gaming
Old 17-12-2009, 17:24   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
I really wish they would trial this in dudley, would like a 5Mb/10Mb upload speed for a while just so I can see the performance difference on gaming
Only useful for hosting lots of people really.
Old 17-12-2009, 17:29   #10
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Of course, very true but would be nice to do a speed test and see the upload heading up to 5/10Mb.
Old 19-12-2009, 12:45   #11
JayAy
Inactive

JayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enough

On 20Mb service in the Hemel area, but cannot get anywhere near expected upload speed

Down:
4.6dBmV
40.2dB
Up:
54.0dB

Are these power levels likely to be the cause?
JayAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 13:12   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Perfect results on 10Mb

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 14:02   #13
Ignitionnet
Inactive

All working as sold here, rubbish upstream as ever. Customers on Mobile Broadband in Sweden and on O2s trials get faster

Old 19-12-2009, 14:05   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Very suprised that they're not keep abreast of adsl, even 8Mb gets 800Kb upload these days
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 14:32   #15
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I had faster on Bethere DSL (2.4Mbit sync, 2.1Mbit usable) than the 50Mbit offers. This was over 2 years ago. Had 832kbps on Homechoice, a shade under 800kbps usable for a year before that.

They never attempted to keep abreast because they don't care, downstream is better for willy waving. With BT doing the 40/2 and 40/10 it should change things a bit.