Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Signal Levels look really high

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Signal Levels look really high

Old 16-12-2009, 18:55   #1
AHN-David
Inactive

Services: TV XL - 10MB Broadband - Telephone
AHN-David is an unknown quantity at this point
Signal Levels look really high

Hey guys I just looked at my signal levels and compared them to the levels suggested in the stickey. Do these look really high to anyone?

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.7 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 5
Upstream Frequency : 18384000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 59.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Thanks
AHN-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2009, 18:56   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Signal Levels look really high

Upstream to high, everything else fine, give support a call.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 18:58   #3
AHN-David
Inactive

Does it make a difference that much? The engineer fixed them 2 days ago.

I was reading up and it says they can change randomly. Is that correct?
Old 16-12-2009, 19:00   #4
VMboy
Inactive

VMboy is infamous around these partsVMboy is infamous around these parts

@ AHN-David

Have you tried testing your upload speed just now? I would be interested to know what your current upload speed is, especially as I see you have QPSK.
VMboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 19:00   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHN-David View Post
Does it make a difference that much? The engineer fixed them 2 days ago.

I was reading up and it says they can change randomly. Is that correct?
That is to high and should be ideally in the mid 40 range, keep an eye on it and if your connection degrades or the power level stays high give support a call.
Old 16-12-2009, 19:03   #6
AHN-David
Inactive

Is my latest speed test.

Normal service looks to be resumed in Glasgow for download speed anyway and my upload is always around 30/40's
Old 16-12-2009, 19:05   #7
VMboy
Inactive

VMboy is infamous around these partsVMboy is infamous around these parts

@ AHN-David

Seems your upload speed has been currently hit as mine is right now.
VMboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 19:06   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

If you are happy then ignore it for now.

Do not become a statistics monkey posting every slight variation, just enjoy your broadband and let it do what it does best, entertain you.
Old 16-12-2009, 19:09   #9
AHN-David
Inactive

My upload has mostly been the same. Never peaks over 0.50kbps

Also what is QPSK?

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
If you are happy then ignore it for now.

Do not become a statistics monkey posting every slight variation, just enjoy your broadband and let it do what it does best, entertain you.

I attend to do it now I am so happy I am back to my normal 10mb speed at peak times.

I have decided to stick with virgin even though I had already arranged a cancel date.
Old 16-12-2009, 19:11   #10
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quodumn Spondoolint Parathingum Knowledgeability
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 19:14   #11
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Upstream to high, everything else fine, give support a call.
we all know that 59dBmv is high on the upstream but network guys rate it upto 61dBmv as fine.

When i had 2 Senior network engineers here during the BSR calamity thats still ongoin in swansea they had my records that showed that my upstream was peaking around 59dBmv and told me it wouldnt cause modem reboots unless it was 61dBmv or over.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 19:19   #12
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
we all know that 59dBmv is high on the upstream but network guys rate it upto 61dBmv as fine.

When i had 2 Senior network engineers here during the BSR calamity thats still ongoin in swansea they had my records that showed that my upstream was peaking around 59dBmv and told me it wouldnt cause modem reboots unless it was 61dBmv or over.
this may be so,but all you would need to disrupt your connectivity would be the signal levels off the amplifier in the cabinet fluctuating 2-3db and you would suffer.
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 19:40   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

Well seeming as no modem can actually show a reading above 61 the is no way of actually know how much higher it has gone, and we know that the modem is actually more stable in the mid 40's region.

What would you rather have a pair of bluffers trying to get away with doing nothing or someone actually checking out the issue, I think the answer is a no brainer here.
Old 16-12-2009, 22:18   #14
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Since being put back on the UBR from the BSR my upstream went from being between 51 - 54dBmv to around 47dBmv.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 22:25   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Since being put back on the UBR from the BSR my upstream went from being between 51 - 54dBmv to around 47dBmv.
As it should be.