Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky+ froze

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky+ froze

Old 16-12-2009, 11:54   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Sky+ froze

Hi. My elderly mum in law rang in a panic the other night to say her Sky+ box had frozen. She'd already been onto Sky who ran through a series of basic checks with her apparently and was then told she needed to book an engineer. He came today and managed to 'fix' the problem (not sure how as MIL didn't bother to find out exactly what was wrong!) but from what little I can understand he told her the problem was due to a lack of recording space on the HDD. Anyway what she's been told sounds odd to me because she didn't get any sort of warning message beforehand, the picture on the TV picture just froze as she was watching telly and the Sky+ box became unresponsive. I'm interested to know what may have happened because I obviously want to avoid her having a similar problem again and having to shell out for a 'fix' unnecessarily.

I will try to find out more later but, frankly, she gets so confused sometimes, that may not shed much light on what happened.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2009, 12:04   #2
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sky+ froze

The picture shouldn't freeze even with 0% left.
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 13:34   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post
The picture shouldn't freeze even with 0% left.
No I wouldn't have thought so but she's saying that's what she was told... I'll find out more later anyway.
Old 16-12-2009, 13:52   #4
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to 0% with my sky+ box ages ago and the picture was fine with no problems at all except the recording part obviously, the planner will automatically erase one recording to record another.
Old 16-12-2009, 13:59   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Sky+ boxes are always recording - thats why you can freeze the picture or go backwrds at any point.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 14:02   #6
Osem
Inactive

I'm sorry to sound rude but, to be honest, if the engineer had told my MIL that the problem was caused by a faulty jam doughnut inside the electrical supply she'd probably have believed him.
Old 16-12-2009, 16:06   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

There is an option in the settings for the sky+ box to automatically handle a disk full situation or not. Check the status of this setting.

I think it is wise to leave some disk space for overheads. With a PC 20% is recommended. I never let my sky+ go beyond 10%-15% full before I start deleting stuff.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 20:26   #8
Osem
Inactive

OK I've spoken to her now and she told me that when the engineer came this morning he turned on the box and it worked straightaway. He told her the problem was probably due to glitch caused by the lack of recording space available and after having fiddled about with it and gone through some basic troubleshooting checks (such as she'd been through with the telephone support desk), charged her £65 before leaving.

All was well until this afternoon when the box again malfunctioned. It appears therefore that his diagnosis was wrong and she's going to have to call them out again. Hopefully this time they'll either fix or replace the box.
Old 16-12-2009, 20:28   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

.. and refund the £65 since they screwed up first time.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 20:28   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I hope she won't have to pay *another* £65...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 20:46   #11
Osem
Inactive

Unfortunately she's a bit of a soft touch so although I've advised her to complain, in no uncertain terms, I have a feeling she'll be fobbed off.
Old 16-12-2009, 21:00   #12
NoKnowledge
Inactive

the £65 also gives her a 3 month warranty so I doubt she'll have to pay again.
Old 17-12-2009, 08:53   #13
Osem
Inactive

Warranty aside I'd be very unhappy if they tried to charge her again for the same fault. We'll see anyway and I will report back here when we get to the bottom of this. Cheers guys
Old 24-12-2009, 22:47   #14
Osem
Inactive

Just to update - Sky engineer finally came again yesterday and swapped the Sky+ box with no extra charge. MIL's happy for now so we'll stick at that!

Cheers everyone.
Old 03-01-2010, 14:05   #15
Osem
Inactive

Hmmmm... Just to update. The day after her box was swapped MIL discovered that she was unable to record TV. She called the tech people and was taken through a process which seemed to cure the problem but the next day it happened again. She tried the tech support people again but the problem reappeared so she arranged for another engineer to call. He came yesterday and told her the replacement box had been wrongly installed!!! According to him, Sky have been using a lot of contract staff lately and they don't all seem to know what they're doing. Anyway the box has worked since yesterday so fingers crossed! Suffice it to say that I won't be joining Sky's 'family' any time soon.....