Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving to a non VM cabled area - Leybourne Lakes, Larkfield

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moving to a non VM cabled area - Leybourne Lakes, Larkfield

Old 15-12-2009, 23:30   #1
gmc
Inactive

gmc is on a distinguished roadgmc is on a distinguished road
Moving to a non VM cabled area - Leybourne Lakes, Larkfield

I am currently on VM broadband in Bromley and will be moving soon to the ME20 6TD area in Leybourne Lakes, Larkfield Kent.

According to VM I am not in a fibre optic area so cable is not available.

As far as I can tell though Virgin cable is available in parts of Larkfield which is the "town" location I will be moving to.

Unless you want to check a specific postcode there seems no easy way to see exactly where cable is actually available. Finding specific street post codes is also not easy to do.

It would be nice to be able to see, for instance, that cable is available just down the road and to have some sort of idea that cable may come to my area.

Currently there is just no way to tell whether I am in an area that might be cabled next week, next year or never.

This is all very frustrating and I am not looking forward to having to severely downgrade my Internet speed.
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2009, 00:06   #2
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Moving to a non VM cabled area - Leybourne Lakes, Larkfield

Samknows Broadband checker might be a help, although its not guaranteed 100% accurate. Put in your postcode, and then click on the exact location on the map. Put in the house number and click 'check' for availablility.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 00:14   #3
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Samknows Broadband checker might be a help, although its not guaranteed 100% accurate. Put in your postcode, and then click on the exact location on the map. Put in the house number and click 'check' for availablility.
He's hacked off because he'll get 512 Kbps from a landline!

EDIT ON READING POST #4:

I went onto BT.COM, gave the postcode and house #2 and got 512K.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 00:21   #4
gmc
Inactive

Thanks; I have used that and it does tell me:

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
O2 / Be LLU
Orbital / VFast Wireless

Trying to find out what sort of speeds I would be able to get is a bit of a joke. There seem to be so many caveats that it is impossible to get a satisfactory idea of what speed I will actually get. The people I am buying the house from don't have broadband at the moment.

It would be nice to know if there was some glimmer of hope of getting cable in the future. The exchange is Aylesford and it does say that Virgin cable is available in some areas. Problem is I don't know where the "some" part is.

Putting in the exchange name, I get:

Broadband availability overview
ADSL: Yes
SDSL: No
LLU services: Yes
Cable: Yes
Wireless: Yes
Old 16-12-2009, 00:50   #5
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Have you asked your future neighbours what services they have?

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 03:58   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

It looks like you are going to have to resign yourself to slower speeds. The only caveat will be the distance from the exchange.

BTW the Be website returns BB not available for the postcode you gave as does the O2 one.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 10:28   #7
gmc
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Have you asked your future neighbours what services they have?
Not as yet because contracts haven't even signed although everyone is in agreement throughout the chain.

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
It looks like you are going to have to resign yourself to slower speeds. The only caveat will be the distance from the exchange.

BTW the Be website returns BB not available for the postcode you gave as does the O2 one.
According to Samknows the exchange is 2645m away - not sure if that is awful or not.

It also says I can get adsl and adsl2+.

What confuses me is that the entry for Aylesford says:

20/09/2009 O2 / Be Unlimited has enabled the Aylesford exchange for their service

Perhaps like all things it is never that simple.
Old 16-12-2009, 11:59   #8
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

As I said, BT suggests 512Kbps for your street based on house #2.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote