Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Forum posts being cut short

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Forum posts being cut short

Old 13-12-2009, 23:51   #1
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of
Forum posts being cut short

I am having a rather odd problem. Sometimes when I post to forums, the posts are cut off.

Usually the post just stops after a few lines and the rest is missing. Sometimes a chunk is taken out of the middle and the end appears.

Happens in three different browsers (FF, IE, Konqurer), on two different machines and when behind a router or directly connected to the modem. No proxy is set up on my end, and AFAIK VM do not use transparent proxies any more because they break a lot of stuff.

I should also say that I sometimes get very poor speeds and am on the 3rd modem. Could be related.

Any ideas? I posted in the newsgroup, but I don't hold out much hope. Intermittent issues are always a pain to diagnose.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2009, 04:29   #2
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation
Re: Forum posts being cut short

Packet-loss would be the only reasonable explanation and that ties in with the problems with your connection however I don't understand why TCP wouldn't require a resend.

Just out of curiosity, did you change the power supply adaptor with each modem swap?
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 23:05   #3
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of

Yes, I did change the PSU over each time.

I have repeatedly pointed out that things get bad whenever it rains. They fixed some kind of problem at their end a few months back and it cleared up for a while, but it's worse than ever now

I give up some times. Unfortunately VM is the only option for me (ADSL doesn't work reliably on my line). My posts don't seem to be showing up in the VM newsgroup at the moment either.
Old 14-12-2009, 23:11   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Packet loss is unlikely as TCP is designed to prevent such things, the send should be rejected if packets are missing.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 18:23   #5
cook1984
Inactive

It seems like some kind of transparent proxying is causing the problem. I have noticed that I can't post long messages to the VM support newsgroup either, only short ones get though.

I'm starting to get paranoid, thinking I'm in some kind of secret malware trial like the Phorm debacle or for some reason MI5 is bugging my internet connection. Seriously guys, I'm not a terrorist so can we stop now please?
Old 15-12-2009, 18:27   #6
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Have you klooked at the network settings in Internet Exploreor? The Connections panel - if it shows a procy, come back to us with details etc.

Do you subscribe to an external Anti-Virus scanning system?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 22:22   #7
cook1984
Inactive

I tried with IE, Firefox and Konqurer on a Ubuntu Live CD and on two different computers. I also tried being connected directly to the modem.

I don't run AV software in the background, but I have recently scanned the system fully so I know it's clean. The Ubuntu Live CD rules virus infection out anyway.
Old 15-12-2009, 22:45   #8
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook1984 View Post
I tried with IE, Firefox and Konqurer on a Ubuntu Live CD and on two different computers. I also tried being connected directly to the modem.

I don't run AV software in the background, but I have recently scanned the system fully so I know it's clean. The Ubuntu Live CD rules virus infection out anyway.
I noted you said it happens on more than one PC. So it is a router issue in all likelihood.

What router do you have and what is the MTU setting?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 22:50   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I don't believe this will turn out to be a VM specific issue so moved to 'Internet Discussion'.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 23:51   #10
cook1984
Inactive

I have tried it connected directly to the router on my laptop with an Ubuntu Live CD in Konqurer and Firefox. It is not the router.

It has only started happening recently. I have not changed anything.

Rob: Please move back to VM forums. I can post to these sites without problems at work using the same laptop.
Old 16-12-2009, 06:47   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Just re-read the above and you do seem to have ruled out everything but your connection.

I'll move it back.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 17:57   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I have tried it connected directly to the router on my laptop with an Ubuntu Live CD in Konqurer and Firefox. It is not the router.

It has only started happening recently. I have not changed anything.

Rob: Please move back to VM forums. I can post to these sites without problems at work using the same laptop.
You may need to use a proxy to access the site so try this link http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34773822-post18.html

Or you can try http://www.opendns.com/

Apart from that the is nothing that Virginmedia would be able to do if you called in as your connection is fine apart from this issue which is outside the support scope.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 22:58   #13
cook1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
I'll move it back.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Apart from that the is nothing that Virginmedia would be able to do if you called in as your connection is fine apart from this issue which is outside the support scope.
You mean to say that having a working internet connection is "outside the support scope"?

If I have ruled out everything at this end then there must be a problem with either the modem or the connection. Both of those are their responsibility. It happens on multiple computers and with multiple sites, or are you saying that VM don't support posting to forums or email?

Apologies if that sounds sarcastic but I really am struggling to understand what you mean.

I think the next step is going to be to call VM and demand compensation for the problem. I don't really care about the money, but VM do so hopefully it will motivate them to fix the issue. I could threaten to leave but since ADSL doesn't work here it would only be a bluff.

The problem with those tactics are that the response is usually to try and put you through to technical support who are completely clueless. If the techs on the VM newsgroup can't fix it then some chump in India with a script to read has no chance. Is there any other way to escalate this sort of issue?

Oh, and I still have the other two modems that VM sent me. I am using the third one now. Is it possible to go back to one of the old ones, or will they simply not work now?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 18-12-2009, 06:22   #14
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:

You mean to say that having a working internet connection is "outside the support scope"?

If I have ruled out everything at this end then there must be a problem with either the modem or the connection. Both of those are their responsibility. It happens on multiple computers and with multiple sites, or are you saying that VM don't support posting to forums or email?
You have a working connection and can browse the internet so the issue lies elsewhere.

So you call in and say my connection is fine but I have problems posting to various forums, all they will say is take it up with the forum or refer you to PC Help at £1 per minute.

Quote:
I think the next step is going to be to call VM and demand compensation for the problem. I don't really care about the money, but VM do so hopefully it will motivate them to fix the issue. I could threaten to leave but since ADSL doesn't work here it would only be a bluff.

The problem with those tactics are that the response is usually to try and put you through to technical support who are completely clueless. If the techs on the VM newsgroup can't fix it then some chump in India with a script to read has no chance. Is there any other way to escalate this sort of issue?
Virgin will not offer you compensation simply because you cannot post on a forum as that is an unsupported issue.
Quote:
Oh, and I still have the other two modems that VM sent me. I am using the third one now. Is it possible to go back to one of the old ones, or will they simply not work now?

Any advice would be appreciated.
The other modems should be inactive and should no longer be on your account as only one modem can be provisioned per account.

Click here for the Support Scope.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 18:38   #15
cook1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
You have a working connection and can browse the internet so the issue lies elsewhere.
But I can't browse the internet. When I try to submit forms they often get cut off or sometimes fail to post at all. That makes it impossible to do webmail or even twitter.

Quote:
So you call in and say my connection is fine but I have problems posting to various forums, all they will say is take it up with the forum or refer you to PC Help at £1 per minute.
I know. This is the worst kind of problem it is possible to have - one for which there is no procedure to resolve.

Quote:
Virgin will not offer you compensation simply because you cannot post on a forum as that is an unsupported issue.
Please review the thread. It's not just "a forum", it's all forums including this one, as well as newsgroups and email both via webmail and SMTP.

The link you posted suggests that my problem is within the support scope because it is clearly a connection wide issue at VM's end. I have ruled out everything here, even down to ethernet cables and modem PSUs.

BTW, should I be expecting a box for return of the two old modems? I'll keep them for three months and then bin them if I don't hear anything.