Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Edinburgh Slow Speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Edinburgh Slow Speeds

Old 06-12-2009, 22:17   #1
VMboy
Inactive

VMboy is infamous around these partsVMboy is infamous around these parts
Edinburgh Slow Speeds

Anyone in the west of Edinburgh suffering from poor download and surf speeds tonight?

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Seems to be back at normal speed just after 10pm.
VMboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2009, 20:58   #2
VMboy
Inactive

Re: Edinburgh Slow Speeds

Why are we paying for 10 meg speeds when right now the speeds ae well below?

My UBR had around 720 people downloading last night at this time when the threshold is 320 apparently, and that was because an area was migrated over, but I wonder what the excuse is to-night.

Can't anything be done against those people that continuously leave their computer on all day just downloading which ruins it for others at this time.

I can't think of anything else that you pay for and don't receive without making a song and dance of it.

Imagine if the Virgin Media top brass went to their airport and wanted a ticket for a flight to Italy, they paid for their ticket, the plane then lands in Switzerland and the passengers are told sorry but we have air traffic management and we are not going any further, I'd bet the Virgin Media staff would have something to say about that, and would be far from happy being that they have already paid good money for the service.

Surely Ofcom should be getting involved now as Virgin Media call their services 10, 20, and 50 meg speeds when quite clearly the vast majority of their customers just do not receive whatever the respective internet package speed is, look at Glasgow for instance, they have a thread of their own regarding poor speeds too.

Old 07-12-2009, 21:01   #3
xxxxxx
Inactive

xxxxxx can only hope to improve

It's disgusting what they're doing. And surely they're breaking the law by doing this.

I have 20mb, from the Liverpool 7 area, and haven't even come close to my proper upload speed since I got it upgraded 3 weeks ago. My download speed can be good, at times, but terrible for most of the time.
xxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 21:06   #4
VMboy
Inactive

The new Virgin Media staff clothing should be a stripped shirt with a swag bag plus mask, as they are doing not just daylight robbery but 24/7...................
Old 08-12-2009, 22:26   #5
VMboy
Inactive

I am having speed issues at the moment, can anyone tell me if this downstream info from the modem look normal for a 10 meg package.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 10.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.3 dB
Old 08-12-2009, 22:31   #6
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMboy View Post
I am having speed issues at the moment, can anyone tell me if this downstream info from the modem look normal for a 10 meg package.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 10.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.3 dB
10.4 dBmv is much too high.

Over 5dBmv is abnormal and over 7 will very likely cause problems.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 22:43   #7
xxxxxx
Inactive

xxxxxx can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
10.4 dBmv is much too high.

Over 5dBmv is abnormal and over 7 will very likely cause problems.
To be honest, mine has always been 8 to 9, and my speeds have always been great; besides, 3 guys from Virgin have said my modem was working perfectly.
xxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 23:02   #8
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxx View Post
To be honest, mine has always been 8 to 9, and my speeds have always been great; besides, 3 guys from Virgin have said my modem was working perfectly.
There is some consensus that if it is working fine and the voltage isn't fluctuating, then there's nothing to fix - for now. So your point is reasonable.

But those values are outside of the general wisdom on the subject - even though DOCSIS allows a wider range to cope with different SNR scenarios and modulations.

Old 08-12-2009, 23:08   #9
VMboy
Inactive

I just called 151 and he cut me off.

He gave me his name so I will be reporting him tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2009, 23:17   #10
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMboy View Post
I just called 151 and he cut me off.

He gave me his name so I will be reporting him tomorrow.
Report him here and now so that somebody actually takes note. Especoially if one of us has to talk to him, we can say "aren't you the one who cuts people off?".

And put it on the VM forum too.

Old 08-12-2009, 23:26   #11
VMboy
Inactive

He said his name was Roy.

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:21 ----------

I was told that my Downstream Receive Power Level was showing as it is below due to high utilisation in my area, but is that right, I thought these levels are for my modem only and not related to the area of other users.

These are my current levels below, will anything below be causing me to receive only 50% download speed?

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 10.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.6 dB
Old 08-12-2009, 23:26   #12
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Virgin Media don't offer deffo speeds its upto plus they do cover this is T&C's about evening download speeds. they aren't breaking the law as no ISP can give you full speed all the time if other people are hammering the network.

I understand its not the best getting slow speeds but don't get so down hearted about this it's only the internet theres other things in life to enjoy, reporting them ain't prob going to do much if you have the first name.
Old 08-12-2009, 23:30   #13
VMboy
Inactive

I am not getting anywhere near my download speed of 10 meg, and neither are others, we pay for this service, it's not free you know.

According to many on this forum they say anything around more than 5 for the download stream is too high, mine is at 10.4, so I am to sit and do nothing, is that what you mean?
Old 08-12-2009, 23:31   #14
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

I know but your going on like its the end of the world.
Old 08-12-2009, 23:36   #15
VMboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
I know but your going on like its the end of the world.
Well I hope your download speed drops over a long period, and we'll see if you have the same attitude.

Instead of rubbishing my complaint you should be trying to help.