Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WNR2000 not up to the task

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WNR2000 not up to the task

Old 18-10-2009, 13:28   #1
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
WNR2000 not up to the task

I have been with VM 50mb virtually since Day 1. Until now I thought the WNR2000 Netgear router they supply was up to the job for home networking. True, the wireless connection is OK through 1 wall or a ceiling or two, but after that it is pretty poor. So, I have been using ex-BT powerline adaptors supporting 200mbs. I have also upgraded my PC ethernet card to gigabyte technology. However the WNR2000 only dishes out 100mbs. This is inadequate for multiple users and for video streaming from my network hard disc. (World Book 2Tb)

Good news! Well maybe. Netgear have just announced a gigabyte router with USB, perfect for working with my network HD, the WNR3500L . NETGEAR .

Question is: If I replace the VM supplied router with the new model, is the old router mine to sell on? Also are there any plans to upgrade the VM router ready for 10mb upstream? If so will it be the WNR3500L?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2009, 13:31   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: WNR2000 not up to the task

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Question is: If I replace the VM supplied router with the new model, is the old router mine to sell on?
Officially no, but Virgin do not ask for them back.

Quote:
Also are there any plans to upgrade the VM router ready for 10mb upstream?
All routers that do Wireless N will be fine for a 10Mbit upload.

Quote:
If so will it be the WNR3500L?
Virgin currently supply the D-Link DIR-615 for XXL broadband
Old 18-10-2009, 13:38   #3
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Officially no, but Virgin do not ask for them back.

All routers that do Wireless N will be fine for a 10Mbit upload.

Virgin currently supply the D-Link DIR-615 for XXL broadband

Thanks for that. Given what you say I will definitely go for the WN3500L when it retails here in a few weeks. It doesn't look like the Dlink will do the job either, ie only 100mbs Lan. The wireless ought to be better than Netgear with the 2 external antennae.
Old 18-10-2009, 13:44   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There is the D-Link DIR-655 which has Gigabit ethernet
Old 18-10-2009, 14:54   #5
Russell Winder
Permanently Banned

Russell Winder can only hope to improve

Consider this Netgear router wndr3700. It has very good reviews and excellent throughput. It's on sale on pixmania -- out of stock every where else (amazon market place has it but it's expensive). It operates in 2.4 and 5Ghz (dual band)

The D-link 655 is as good but it gets very hot.

Both are draft 2 802.11N, which is different from final 802.11N. The WiFi alliance will ratify them as "N" but the Alliance have moved the goalposts: They introduced two new categories

dual stream N
multi stream N

which is essentially the real final N.

See here

The WNDR3700 is a "dual stream N", it has 8 aerials, 4 for each band, 2 incoming, two outgoing.
Russell Winder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 15:12   #6
jcm193
cf.addict

jcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enough

I have to agree The D-link 655 is a great bit of kit and far better then anything netgear can offer,im not to sure about them getting hot mind mine has never had that problem.
jcm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 17:09   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

What would be good if Virgin brought this in

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...ys/CG3200.aspx
Old 18-10-2009, 19:14   #8
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

The D-Link 655 has fantastic firmware runs cool here 24/7 keeping 2 websites on-line.
Had D-Link's before and never had any complaint, would never consider any other makes.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 19:30   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Interesting replies. You gave me food for thought. However one thing the WNR3500L offers is open source software, well eventually. It is possible to install download / torrent software, for example, so you can download and upload whilst your PC is switched off. The only other router that does this is the Fonera2n, http://www.fon.com , except that doesn't have gigabyte ethernet.
Old 19-10-2009, 15:41   #10
aptsys
cf.member

aptsys is an unknown quantity at this point

gigabit not gigabyte!!

Either way, the Linksys RVS4000 works well for me.
aptsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 18:00   #11
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

The netgear router has never caused me issues.