Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | When did Virgin change the ADSL Costs and Caps?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

When did Virgin change the ADSL Costs and Caps?

Old 17-10-2009, 09:18   #1
BonyTony
Inactive

BonyTony is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy When did Virgin change the ADSL Costs and Caps?

I Have been an ADSL customer for the past year and always paid £10 per month,any downloads I do are started after midnight and are finished before 8am. Service is ok but terrible at tea times every day of the week.

I just my new bill and its now £15 i popped along to the Virgin website http://virgin.net/allyours/bbandphon...?buspart=buyat and I see the packages have changed, when I signed up it was unlimited (i know it was capped) but now they have solid limits on!.

My question is where do I stand, is my old contract valid or do i have to accept a price rise and a solid download limit?.

Oh and if the answers are yes can I get out of my contract with them?

I have tried calling them but they keep saying the system is down.

BonyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2009, 10:50   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: When did Virgin change the ADSL Costs and Caps?

Without prior notification of a price change your original price should stand
Old 17-10-2009, 11:04   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I've been on the Virgin.net up to 8Mb for a few years now. It's just under £15 and has no hard cap. There's supposed to be STM on it as far as I know but I've never managed to trigger it, despite occasionally downloading rather a lot. I've just had a look back over my old emails from them and all I have, apart from monthly direct debit notices, is a change in T&Cs last April that was to do with notice periods and charges for cancellation.

So, I don't think they have tried to force old customers onto new packages. If they have done that to you, you need to call them to get it rectified. Take no messing off them - the first CSR you speak to will claim it's impossible to put you back on an obsolete tariff even if you were moved off it in error. You will need to get to talk to a manager to have any hope of sorting it IMO.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 12:06   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Of course there may have been a 12 month reduction as part of an offer
Old 17-10-2009, 12:08   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Mmm, there's a good point. Bony me old muckah, when you say you've been a customer 'for the past year' do you mean you've been a customer for exactly a year?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 12:35   #6
BonyTony
Inactive

BonyTony is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Mmm, there's a good point. Bony me old muckah, when you say you've been a customer 'for the past year' do you mean you've been a customer for exactly a year?
Yes for the past 12 months, I have since managed to get them to check on the system and have now reduced it again to £10 without the solid cap...just going to call them again and ask for it in writing.

Just a note for people thinking of getting Virgin ADSL, forget using iplayer or the like I have been throttled for a week to 56k modem speed quite a few times on all occasions after using iplayer (may be 2 episodes back to back). Now I dare not use any catchup TV from 10am till midnight My speed at strange hours is 5meg, from lunch till 11pm about .5 to 1.5meg if i am very lucky.
When I call to complain they say its because of my usage in any one hour?, the Next time I move internet supplier and connectivity will be a big factor.
BonyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 16:36   #7
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyTony View Post
Yes for the past 12 months, I have since managed to get them to check on the system and have now reduced it again to £10 without the solid cap...just going to call them again and ask for it in writing.

Just a note for people thinking of getting Virgin ADSL, forget using iplayer or the like I have been throttled for a week to 56k modem speed quite a few times on all occasions after using iplayer (may be 2 episodes back to back). Now I dare not use any catchup TV from 10am till midnight My speed at strange hours is 5meg, from lunch till 11pm about .5 to 1.5meg if i am very lucky.
When I call to complain they say its because of my usage in any one hour?, the Next time I move internet supplier and connectivity will be a big factor.
This is one of the reasons why my mate has just switched from them. He signed up originally back in 2005 when it was still Virgin net on 512k and then worked his way upto 8mb but his connection was useless, he was getting around 1.8mb at any given time. He has switched over to Talk Talk and is now getting over 5mb most of the time.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote