Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | this cant be right?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

this cant be right?

Old 01-10-2009, 15:14   #1
jt1987
Inactive

jt1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
this cant be right?

Hey

So I'm new around here, forgive me if I've somehow got confused or made a mistake but im getting some really odd speed results at speedtest.net

Im on the 20mb broadband and in the past have suffered some major issues not getting the speeds I would expect.

Today I decided to do a speed test, i've never seen this test go about around 15mb for our connection. Here are todays results.

I tried it again just to make sure...

Now don't get be wrong im not complaining im just confused!
jt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2009, 15:23   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: this cant be right?

No, it's not right. Even if VM removed the cap from your modem, it is not physically capable of handling speeds greater than 38Mbps.

Either something is up with speedtest.net or you have something on your machine caching the data.

to the forum, BTW..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 16:09   #3
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

download this test file below and tell us what your speed is

http://test.fileburst.com/50mb-testfile.zip
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 16:13   #4
jt1987
Inactive

jt1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

guess it was just a glitch with speedtest.net...downloading that test file gave me speeds between 150kb/s and 300 kb/s, thats what we're used to on our 20mb line :/
jt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 20:37   #5
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I won't use speedtest.net because it is so quirky.

I sometimes wonder whether a whole lot of diagnosis here goes down a misled path.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 22:09   #6
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1987 View Post
guess it was just a glitch with speedtest.net...downloading that test file gave me speeds between 150kb/s and 300 kb/s, thats what we're used to on our 20mb line :/
Thats really bad that less than 2.5Mb, do me a favour download to files at te same time from gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk an post back because your speed seems too slow
Old 02-10-2009, 00:08   #7
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post
download this test file below and tell us what your speed is

http://test.fileburst.com/50mb-testfile.zip
i get 511k from that link and 2.2mb from gamefiles so that download must be dodgy.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:39   #8
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
i get 511k from that link and 2.2mb from gamefiles so that download must be dodgy.
eich bod yn dde
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 15:24   #9
bomber_g
Inactive

Services: Lots
bomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enough

Thought people might like to know that some of the 'test servers' on speedtest.net only have 1 meg of upload bandwidth, and I have no idea how they can test circuits that have 10 Meg downstream and above, I'd use sites like gamefiles etc and download large files, things like ISO's for Linux Distro's are quite good to get and idea of how much traffic you can push over your connection
bomber_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 19:23   #10
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber_g View Post
Thought people might like to know that some of the 'test servers' on speedtest.net only have 1 meg of upload bandwidth, and I have no idea how they can test circuits that have 10 Meg downstream and above, I'd use sites like gamefiles etc and download large files, things like ISO's for Linux Distro's are quite good to get and idea of how much traffic you can push over your connection
That's impossible, since the requirement to becoming a speedtest.net server is 10Mbps bandwidth upstream.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 20:22   #11
Chris442
Inactive

Services: All Virgin services Broadband since 2003, Now : 100mbs.
Chris442 is an unknown quantity at this point

I usually read these forums , however decided to join just to voice my opinion.

I'm on the 20mbps service atm and i use:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

for me the results are absolutely accurate i've tested both with that and downloading files from various servers and all results seem to correspond with bbmax.

my typical download rate is 19600kbp/s and upload speed around 720kbp/s constant on all machines except 1 , they all get 2.3mb/s down sometimes higher except 1 of the machines which is 6 years old , sony vaio has an old nic card which can't handle the speeds and gets about 1/4 of the bandwidth.

Before complaining about your broadband speed always check to make sure your computer is capable of handling it.
Even if you call an engineer out and the line gets tested on his laptop/meter.
majority of cases it's computers hardware that's at fault and not connection.
Chris442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 15:07   #12
bomber_g
Inactive

Services: Lots
bomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
That's impossible, since the requirement to becoming a speedtest.net server is 10Mbps bandwidth upstream.
to be honest, that doesn't make any difference - when you are testing anything you need to have a little knowledge of how the test work and what it means, otherwise you can't consider the results accurate, in fact you won't even know what 'accurate' is...

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

just to show you what I mean

you are testing the weight it takes to break a small piece of wood - and to do this you place said piece of wood inbetween to solid surfaces, then start piling small weights onto it till it breaks. you need to know how much each little weight weighs. if you don't know this, your test is effectively pointless....
bomber_g is offline   Reply With Quote