Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Modem!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New Modem!

Old 06-09-2009, 14:33   #1
Tomcat
Inactive

Tomcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry New Modem!

Hi

Last week my Virgin 255 modem on my 20Mb Broadband stopped working. So I got onto Virgin who sent me out a brand new one exactly the same as my old one plus a new power supply. Now for the problem when I did a speed test it only returned about 8000kbps and as stayed at this speed for a few days now, this connection on the old modem as been running with a lowest speed of 19000kbps and a highest speed of 19500kbps for as long as I can remember! and the only thing changed is the modem and power supply. Can anybody tell me what's gone wrong?

Ta Rog
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2009, 15:12   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: New Modem!

Did you call in to get the new modem activated at all.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 15:41   #3
Tomcat
Inactive

Hi Moldova

It took 2 days, 5 phone calls, 2 times cut off after waiting at least 15 minutes, but yes I did get it activated against all odds.

Rog
Old 06-09-2009, 15:43   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
Hi Moldova

It took 2 days, 5 phone calls, 2 times cut off after waiting at least 15 minutes, but yes I did get it activated against all odds.

Rog
What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER
Old 06-09-2009, 16:02   #5
Tomcat
Inactive

Hi Moldova

Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 33.0 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV

Is this what you need?

Rog
Old 06-09-2009, 16:06   #6
xocemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova
Those power levels are fine.
You may need to call in to have them run some tests on your connection.

Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
Old 06-09-2009, 16:22   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
Hi Moldova

Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 33.0 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV

Is this what you need?

Rog
They are fine but if you are having any issues with regards your connection then ring the number above that xocemp has kindly posted.