Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do not post your MAC address or serial number...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do not post your MAC address or serial number...

Old 04-09-2009, 23:48   #1
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all
Do not post your MAC address or serial number...

Hi,

I hope this isn't an inappropriate question - if it is can the mods please remove it?

Whenever I've seen a response to a question here asking for power levels VM employees (and others) always include instructions to not post modem MAC addresses or serial numbers.

Out of curiosity, what could be done with this information? Is it just about preventing thieving *%!$ers from spoofing your MAC on cloned modems, or are there other things that can be done? If it's just about modem cloning I'm confused about advice not to post modem serial number as I didn't think this was used.

If it makes a difference to whether this post is inappropriate I do not want to know how this information can be misused.

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2009, 06:20   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Do not post your MAC address or serial number...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed2020 View Post

Out of curiosity, what could be done with this information? Is it just about preventing thieving *%!$ers from spoofing your MAC on cloned modems, or are there other things that can be done? If it's just about modem cloning I'm confused about advice not to post modem serial number as I didn't think this was used.
You answered yourself but a valid post
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed2020 View Post
If you check a VM modem serial number you'll find that it's just the mac number without any colons. for example mac= AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF will have a serial number of AABBCCDDEEFF

But in simple terms a mac number can be used to clone a modem hence we take the stance of removing all such references from posts on cableforum otherwise we'd just be helping the cloners..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49   #4
zing_deleted

who afaik can just sniff plenty out with a simple app anyway lol
Old 05-09-2009, 10:02   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Probably but does that mean we should help them do it??
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:16   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
who afaik can just sniff plenty out with a simple app anyway lol
In reality yes, it almost certainly makes very little difference to comment out the odd mac address on here, I seriously doubt any cloner looks on these forums to get their mac addresses, but thats not a reason to stop. Same with IP addresses, there is very little reason to assume that someone posting their ip address here is actually going to suffer any sort of attack, but we will continue to remove them. Its good common (and security) sense.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 19:23   #7
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
If you check a VM modem serial number you'll find that it's just the mac number without any colons. for example mac= AA:BB:CCD:EE:FF will have a serial number of AABBCCDDEEFF
0 out of 10 for perception for me there then! I'd never noticed that. I suppose, having thought about it, that's quite logical. No point in creating two unique identifiers when one will suffice.

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to reply.

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 19:27   #8
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
In reality yes, it almost certainly makes very little difference to comment out the odd mac address on here, I seriously doubt any cloner looks on these forums to get their mac addresses, but thats not a reason to stop. Same with IP addresses, there is very little reason to assume that someone posting their ip address here is actually going to suffer any sort of attack, but we will continue to remove them. Its good common (and security) sense.

I was not actually disagreeing I do agree that they should not be posted and have reported many a post in the past with ip addresses etc
Old 05-09-2009, 19:58   #9
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

The point of cloning being to be to use the MAC of a user with a higher capacity connection, thus getting you the same, presumably?

I'd have thought there'd be a better solution to stop it... something that perhaps only allowed one instance of a MAC onto the entire network. But then that would probably rely on the DHCP (or whatever does it) servers all being in sync, which might be easier said than done.
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 20:05   #10
zing_deleted

and all of a sudden hundreds or thousands of legit users would be booted off line
Old 05-09-2009, 23:36   #11
Xteria
Inactive

Xteria is an unknown quantity at this point

is there any way to find out if someone is cloning your mac or whatever?
Xteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 23:38   #12
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xteria View Post
Not as far as I know anyway, apart from being STM'd without being on the internet maybe
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 23:59   #13
keyholder
Inactive

Services: basic fone & L BB,
keyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xteria View Post
Nope!

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaveRa View Post
The point of cloning being to be to use the MAC of a user with a higher capacity connection, thus getting you the same, presumably?

I'd have thought there'd be a better solution to stop it... something that perhaps only allowed one instance of a MAC onto the entire network. But then that would probably rely on the DHCP (or whatever does it) servers all being in sync, which might be easier said than done.
HAving a Mac code from a person with a higher bandwidth is also not true! Iregardless of what mac the cloner is using They can select any desired speed they wish !

Yes youd think that only 1 mac of each kind on the network would work .. but seems this isnt the case...

If VM pull their finger out and get thier arse into gear soon enuff it wont matter if your mac is being displayed or not due to new security protocols in place
keyholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43   #14
Thomas.Fisk
Inactive

Thomas.Fisk is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed that my configuration file has been what looks like a hash for a while now, so I assume that's part of some cloning solution VM are rolling out; possibly something to do with upgrades to the newer Docsis version?
Thomas.Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:05   #15
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice

the configs are encrypted yes.
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote