Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 10MB virgin media getting lag spikes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

10MB virgin media getting lag spikes

Old 01-09-2009, 21:16   #1
uperkurk1
Inactive

uperkurk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
10MB virgin media getting lag spikes

Hey guys. I'm having some problems with my 10MB virgin media connection, I have had my line for about 9 months now without a hitch until recently. I play some online multiplayers games such as call of duty 4. Basically when I go into a server and check my ping (latency) I goes from 34 (which is normal) to 500+ and it jumps back and fourth from 30 ish to sometimes 999. I can download with no problems, my average download speed is 600kbs to 1mb a second which is what I should be downloading at. I have tried unplugging my cable modem to reset it and still no joy. I did a full system restore incase I had a virus that was affecting my speed and still the same. My general internet is slow also but when I do a broadband speed test I get 9.8MB which is normal.

I have tried talking to someone from VM on the phone but there really not helping they say its ok from there end so it must be an issue on my end.

I was wondering if its possible to find out the IP to my virgin media cable modem so I can reset it manually or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
uperkurk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2009, 18:26   #2
uperkurk1
Inactive

Re: 10MB virgin media getting lag spikes

Any ideas guys?
Old 02-09-2009, 18:34   #3
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

There's nothing you can reset in the modem.
http://192.168.100.1 user/pass root/root
Go to the Signal tab and post your upstream and downstream power levels and signal to noise ratio (SNR)
Which modem do you have?
Have you tried pinging to your game server?
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 22:14   #4
uperkurk1
Inactive

Here is my details

Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV

Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 32.6 dB

I couldnt find the upstream SNR.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 22:15   #5
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Those levels are fine.
Can you run a traceroute to your game server and also some ping tests.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:30   #6
uperkurk1
Inactive

I dont now how to do a traceroute but I have done a ping test in cmd prompt and my ping changes all the time from 35, 178, 489, 367, 43, 56, 99 ect its all over the place. I just had my firewall give me a popup message saying my PC is about to connect to another network or something, I never had this before. Could someone be using my internet maybe? Thanks for the help so far.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19   #7
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Do you use wireless for online gaming? As this could be your PC changing its signal strength to the router (and hence changing the latency).

If you use a network (ethernet) cable to connect to your router, then the above is irrelevant

To do a traceroute, open cmd prompt and type
Code:
tracert <game server ip>
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote