Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20mb BB. No internet (Router internet light is on)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20mb BB. No internet (Router internet light is on)

Old 25-08-2009, 16:22   #1
retro_hood
Inactive

retro_hood is an unknown quantity at this point
20mb BB. No internet (Router internet light is on)

Just recieved the stuff for the 20mb today.

I connected to cable to the modem, then with the ethernet cable I connected the modem to the router and then connected the router with my laptop using ethernet cable.

The Modem 'Ready' Light is yellow. The Router Internet Light is Green. This would suggest i have a connection to the internet.

I tried connecting to the router wirelessly without setting up the router. I connected ot the router but their is no Internet connection.

I cannot setup the router because it needs a valid internet connection.

I have tried ignoreing the router and doing a direct connection from the modem to my laptop, still no joy.

Any suggestions?
retro_hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2009, 16:30   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: 20mb BB. No internet (Router internet light is on)

Hello,

Have you rang activations, to get your VM modem activated?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:31   #3
retro_hood
Inactive

Fraid not, would that be the problem. I never seen anything on the letters mentioning that.
Old 25-08-2009, 16:37   #4
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_hood View Post
Fraid not, would that be the problem. I never seen anything on the letters mentioning that.
Yep more than likely - give them a ring - see what they can do for you - number should be in the booklet.
Old 25-08-2009, 16:38   #5
retro_hood
Inactive

I got told about this before recieving the things, but it doesnt say anywhere that i need to activate it!

Thanks for information though, i will look into it.
Old 25-08-2009, 16:40   #6
webcrawler2050
Inactive

How strange. Well normally, you should see an on screen process.
Old 25-08-2009, 16:41   #7
retro_hood
Inactive

I've just googled around. I havent found much references to phoning about activating the modem!
Old 25-08-2009, 16:42   #8
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
I've just googled around. I havent found much references to phoning about activating the modem!
Wait - are you simply trying to add a wireless modem on to an exisiting VM Modem?

If not and this is all brand new kit, that comes with the self install kit - then you need to activate it.
Old 25-08-2009, 16:47   #9
retro_hood
Inactive

Ignoring the router, the 'Ready' Light on the router is green which i recall means that it has an internet connection. I've connected the VM modem directly to my laptop to recieve this internetconnection but i cant. It just picks up the device and connects without the internet connection.

Same situation goes for using the router as a gateway between the VM Modem and my Laptop.

All signals suggest there is an internet connection running through the VM Modem.
Old 25-08-2009, 16:50   #10
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

The modem definitely needs activating. Ring 150 from a Virgin Phone or 08454541111 from any other phone
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:51   #11
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Ignoring the router, the 'Ready' Light on the router is green which i recall means that it has an internet connection. I've connected the VM modem directly to my laptop to recieve this internetconnection but i cant. It just picks up the device and connects without the internet connection.

Same situation goes for using the router as a gateway between the VM Modem and my Laptop.

All signals suggest there is an internet connection running through the VM Modem.
Yep - modem needs activating as Ben Says
Old 25-08-2009, 16:53   #12
retro_hood
Inactive

Okey, im not the account holder, will that matter? And what information do they need?
Old 25-08-2009, 16:57   #13
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

I dunno about whether they will allow you if you are not the account holder but they will need the Account Number, Account Password and HFC MAC Address from the bottom of the modem
Old 25-08-2009, 17:04   #14
retro_hood
Inactive

Thankyou for the help guys, i will get right on it.
Old 25-08-2009, 17:10   #15
Ben B
Inactive

Quote:
Thankyou for the help guys, i will get right on it.
Let us know how you get on