Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 50MB backing up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

50MB backing up

Old 24-08-2009, 22:24   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
50MB backing up

Hi all

I am in the process of upgrading to the 50MB package this Friday.

I quite like the idea of backing up all my music and photo online and wonder how easy is it to do and are the items compressed?

My music totals approx is approx 35GB and photos 22GB. Would that take ages to back up ?

Many thanks

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2009, 22:26   #2
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
Re: 50MB backing up

Due to the crap upload speed yes it will
Old 24-08-2009, 23:21   #3
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi all

I quite like the idea of backing up all my music and photo online and wonder how easy is it to do and are the items compressed?

My music totals approx is approx 35GB and photos 22GB. Would that take ages to back up ?

Many thanks

Mike
It will be an excruciating experience which will feel similar to pulling teeth with a rusty spoon.

They won't get compressed much as they will already be compressed.

It's going to take 3 or 4 days at very least, don't hold your breath
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 00:49   #4
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi all

Many thanks

Mike

As Broadbanking said the upload speed is better than most isp's but still crap. back up all your stuff to another drive on the pc or another pc altogether. Faster and easier.. Or even on another partition on your drive...
Pedro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 13:59   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro1 View Post
As Broadbanking said the upload speed is better than most isp's but still crap. back up all your stuff to another drive on the pc or another pc altogether. Faster and easier.. Or even on another partition on your drive...
Err Pedro rather pointless backing stuff up to the same drive don't you think?

It's a better upstream than most offer for sure, people who like their upload and are close enough to the exchange, which is the major problem, use O2 / Be. I'm too far away to benefit sadly
Old 27-08-2009, 13:13   #6
rjsetford
Inactive

rjsetford is an unknown quantity at this point

I have around 160gb backed up to www.mozy.com. Okay, it took a few days to get all that up but once it's done only incremental changes are then sent.

We had a PC failure in January but, thanks to Mozy and my pretty much rock solid VM (10mb at the time, now 20mb), I had most of the data back in almost no time.

I can't recommend www.mozy.com enough. for $4.95pm you get unlimited storage space. Windows only at the moment but a Linux client is, so I'm told by Mozy, on it's way.

Hope that helps,

Rich
rjsetford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 18:46   #7
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post

It's a better upstream than most offer for sure, people who like their upload and are close enough to the exchange, which is the major problem, use O2 / Be. I'm too far away to benefit sadly
LOL sorry add another drive or just partition the existing one that would do the trick...
Old 27-08-2009, 23:28   #8
Pedro1
Inactive

Quote:

Who said anything about using the same drive, i never.
Old 27-08-2009, 23:47   #9
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
back up all your stuff to another drive on the pc or another pc altogether. Faster and easier.. Or even on another partition on your drive...
If you backed up to a partition on the same drive an one day the drive failed, then surely you'd have no back up?
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 00:22   #10
Pedro1
Inactive

Not entirly true as if you had to do a format for instance you would only be formating the C drive the partitiond section would be ok. Its not uncommon for h/drives to go into complete melt down but if they do then thats it, but most times the drive is just gubbed on the c drive (windows).
Old 28-08-2009, 00:55   #11
Bigfootedfred
Inactive

Bigfootedfred is an unknown quantity at this point

i just use a 500gb network drive, shared across my gigabyte ethernet, we all use that to back up files. nice, quick easy and simple. have some External usb hard drives as well if needs be, backing up online just seems like a hair pulling experience id rather not try!
Bigfootedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 01:09   #12
Pedro1
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfootedfred View Post
i just use a 500gb network drive, shared across my gigabyte ethernet, we all use that to back up files. nice, quick easy and simple. have some External usb hard drives as well if needs be, backing up online just seems like a hair pulling experience id rather not try!
I agree and just costs you money too. Always back up to partitions, additional drives on the pc or external drives and pc's altogether.

Who else can see you stuff too when uploaded to websites. I dont have anything to hide but c/mon people...
Old 28-08-2009, 06:23   #13
davies1977
Inactive

davies1977 is on a distinguished roaddavies1977 is on a distinguished road

Don't bother will take forever!!! Been trying to back all my details and god I wish I had never bothered!!!
davies1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 10:38   #14
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Who said anything about using the same drive, i never.
Yes you did:

Quote:
The only difference between partitions is they are on different parts of the hard drive, if the hard drive fails it's game over and a drive failing is more likely than a software fault so catastrophic you lose all the data on the partition. Windows or whatever not booting and losing the data on the partition are pretty different things.

I get what you meant but you need to differentiate between logical drives and physical ones. Either way backing up stuff on partitions on the same physical drive is a really bad idea.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Quote:
Who else can see you stuff too when uploaded to websites. I dont have anything to hide but c/mon people...
If you encrypt it precisely no-one.
Old 29-08-2009, 11:05   #15
Pedro1
Inactive

Smile Re: 50MB backing up

Quote:
Yes you did:

The only difference between partitions is they are on different parts of the hard drive, if the hard drive fails it's game over and a drive failing is more likely than a software fault so catastrophic you lose all the data on the partition. Windows or whatever not booting and losing the data on the partition are pretty different things.

I get what you meant but you need to differentiate between logical drives and physical ones. Either way backing up stuff on partitions on the same physical drive is a really bad idea.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

If you encrypt it precisely no-one.
Enrypting and uploading to websites....//..//. Just to much bother for me.
As i have 4 comps in the house i just duplicate stuff i dont want to loose on them...