Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Slow speed, 50mb Watford

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow speed, 50mb Watford

Old 11-08-2009, 18:54   #1
RyokoUK
Inactive

RyokoUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow speed, 50mb Watford

Crazy slow speed from a 50mb customer in Watford here. An engineer is coming out next Monday (slow) so any suggestions on what to do in the mean time?

Thanks.
RyokoUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2009, 19:39   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Slow speed, 50mb Watford

Did they give any reasons for the slow speed at all.

------------------------------

Post your power levels from your config pages of your modem. l.

Just click here to login
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR ( RXMER ) also the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 20:51   #3
RyokoUK
Inactive

They didn't give me any information on what was causing it at all. My upload seems to be unaffected however.

As for the power levels I hope this is what you need:
Power Level (down)
(dBmV) 8.14 8.68 9.14 N/A
RxMER
(dB) 38.26 38.26 38.26 N/A

Power Level (up)
(dBmV) 45.25 N/A N/A N/A

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2009, 22:22   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoUK View Post
Power Level (down)
(dBmV) 8.14 8.68 9.14
Your Downstream is bit high so if they adjust that it may give your connection a bit more stability.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 23:09   #5
RyokoUK
Inactive

I hope so. Playing Warcraft tonight was met with many disconnects and much frustration.
Old 13-08-2009, 11:45   #6
dpg
Inactive

dpg is an unknown quantity at this point

I raised a similar problem on the support newsgroup and was told by the engineers there that there is a problem in the network in Watford that is causing massive packet loss. They are hoping to fix it by 17 August.

I had suggested they post an announcement about the fault on the service status page, which would have let people like you know that it was being looked into, but they told me that the VM policy is to only announce total failures and not faults that simply cripple their service.

Your problem may be unrelated, but if it is because of the same problem then getting an engineer out would be a complete waste of his/her and your time!

Cheers.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 15:47   #7
dpg
Inactive

dpg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm back to normal speeds again so it looks as if they have fixed the network fault in Watford. If you are still having problems then the engineer they are sending out next week may be of some help after all.

Cheers.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 00:23   #8
RyokoUK
Inactive

Problem resolved! The engineer seemed to think that my modem had gone tits up so swapped it over for a new one and it is now working fine. Aparently a few other people in the Watford area needed new modems following the network fault. According to him anyway.
Old 18-08-2009, 01:06   #9
jonnyjai
Inactive

jonnyjai is an unknown quantity at this point

so THERE was something wrong in the watford area
on the 16th my 20mb service went down to a max DL speed of 1.90mb i called up VM
and they didnt find anything, they said they tested my equipment and everything was working fine so they didnt help anyfurther
jonnyjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 09:57   #10
TAZMANUK
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt Package, V6, 1 gig bb, WiFi max 2 pods, maxit TV, anytime chatter
TAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TAZMANUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjai View Post
so THERE was something wrong in the watford area
on the 16th my 20mb service went down to a max DL speed of 1.90mb i called up VM
and they didnt find anything, they said they tested my equipment and everything was working fine so they didnt help anyfurther
youre lucky, im only getting 256kbps!!!!
TAZMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote