Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | not getting anywhere near 10mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

not getting anywhere near 10mb

Old 10-08-2009, 03:51   #1
DJ PSYCHOTRANCE
Inactive

DJ PSYCHOTRANCE is an unknown quantity at this point
not getting anywhere near 10mb

Hi all i just upgraded from 2mb to 10mb and my speed at www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk is only around 4689kbps download, and upload starts off by going to 400 odd kbps but at end of test drops to 274kbps, just did this test at 3:45am so my connection isn't being capped. My modem config shows that i have 10mb. My modem which is an NTL 250 is connected to a wireless router (11mbps) downstairs, and my PC upstairs is on wireless network via a USB wireless adapter which shows an 11mbps connection and both signal strength and link quality at 100%. My USB ports are USB2.0.
Is an 11mbps router able to handle a 10mb broadband connection..?? And could it be that i either need to buy a wireless network card or indeed upgrade my router to a 54mbps one to be able to get near my 10mb connection.
I'm in the Glasgow area and my UBR is Renfrew.
my speed test at speedtest.net was slightly better

Regards: Paul.
DJ PSYCHOTRANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2009, 04:07   #2
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough
Re: not getting anywhere near 10mb

Have you tested your speed when connected via ethernet?

11mbps is really the theoretical max. In reality you will only get less than half that.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:23   #3
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

That speed is about right for an 11Mbps wireless connection, it's actually pretty good.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 14:05   #4
bikeman
Inactive

bikeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just noticed this thread. I am only getting 5.5Mbps from my 100Mb ethernet connected pc. Used to get the full 2Mb so I am a bit peeved at only getting half the expected 10Mbps.
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 16:01   #5
DJ PSYCHOTRANCE
Inactive

I tested connection connected straight from modem to PC and all is good.

Suppose i need to buy a 54mbps router if i want to go wireless and get close to 10mb.
Thanks for your replies guys...... :-)
Old 11-08-2009, 02:00   #6
DJ PSYCHOTRANCE
Inactive

Well i went out and bought a new router and wireless PCI card and i'm now a happy chappie with my speed results.