Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can I get a straight answer?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can I get a straight answer?

Old 17-07-2009, 19:09   #1
m8internet
Inactive

m8internet is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I get a straight answer?

I've asked VM the same set of questions twice and had two different sets of answers

I am currently on Broadband M and TV Starter (M+)
I am replacing my CRT TV with a HD 1080p

What format is VM broadcasting HD in?
HD compatable / 1080i

If I upgrade for HD programs, what do I get, and what does it cost?
You need to upgrade to the XL package, this gives you all channels only in HD /
Extra £5 per month for HD, plus £5 per month for TV on Demand which gives you access to the HD channels (so why isn't it just an extra £10 per month?), therefore you may be better off by simply upgrading to the XL package

Is a TV required to be in the property for installation?
Yes / No

I can't find a list of HD channels, for VM, where is it?
We currrently don't have a list / You will find it in the TV on Demand section
m8internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2009, 21:57   #2
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice
Re: Can I get a straight answer?

Hiya m8internet. As it stands at the moment i am a full package vm customer with top tv, bb and phone. I dont have the fancy tv yet cause vm only have ONE (1) HD channel. Sky has loads of them.
Pedro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 22:22   #3
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

I would think that a TV is required for installation to allow the engineer/installer to check the success of the installation.

Only one HD channel, BBC, available now but more arriving later this month, FX MTVN, and National Geographic arriving at the end of the month, the new Living HD arriving shortly after and they're in talks with others.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 00:06   #4
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

So at the end of the day VM still only have ONE HD Channel.. No one wants later they want now if they are like me. Sky seems to be the now rather than later....

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmitage View Post
I would think that a TV is required for installation to allow the engineer/installer to check the success of the installation.

Only one HD channel, BBC, available now but more arriving later this month, FX MTVN, and National Geographic arriving at the end of the month, the new Living HD arriving shortly after and they're in talks with others.
I have been hearing that from vm since i was the age of the kid in your picture...
Old 18-07-2009, 09:12   #5
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

The ones arriving later this month are fairly certain. The V+ box does a very good job of upscaling.

I don't see a hugh difference between BBC1 and the BBC HD channel through the V+ box.

To get HD channel(s) you will have to get the V+ box which is also a PVR. The cost will depend on your current package.

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 09:15   #6
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

It's certain. It was announced by them this week:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...ew-hd-channels
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 13:32   #7
Pedro1
Inactive

My v+ box only has one channel.. if more comes then cool as i said i have the top of the lot with vm and i still say sky has all the hd channels... I would be a sky customer but they cant offer me blistering broadband like vm and i dinny want hunners of contracts all over the shop. So bring on the hd channels vm cause at present you still only have 1...

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

ie one hd channel.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Whoooo FOUR new channels... The sky is the limit so to speak..
Old 18-07-2009, 18:34   #8
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

I would be happy to install in to a property that doesnt have a TV, hell ive done it loads of times when Ive turnt up whilst its a building site, or customer is moving in and doesnt have the TV there.

We would like to see the product working for our own piece of mind but not all the time its possible. But there should be any problem of it.

Get the V+ you wont be disappointed. Ive got SkyHD and V+ both next to each other... guess which one i get for next to nothing... go on.. guess... ? Both hehe. I prefer the V+
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 20:16   #9
Pedro1
Inactive

And at the end of it all vm still only have 1 hd channel.
Progress lol lol...
Old 18-07-2009, 20:46   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro1 View Post
And at the end of it all vm still only have 1 hd channel.
Progress lol lol...
So the BBC HD channels don't count either?
Old 25-08-2009, 02:37   #11
Pedro1
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
So the BBC HD channels don't count either?
Ok that ones yours lol lol..
Old 25-08-2009, 10:31   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro1 View Post
Ok that ones yours lol lol..
Don't forget there are now 6 HD channels with one more launching very soon. (Living HD)
Old 24-10-2009, 23:10   #13
m8internet
Inactive

My HD 1080p TV arrived at the end of July
I am still on my standard STB which displays at 576i

I did replace my DVD Home Cinema System though
The idea was to take advantage of the 1080p upscaling
Sadly I am not impressed by the system
There are a few films where the difference can be seen, but the difference is minimal

I eventually got a straight answer out of VM, when I wanted installation details
The broadcast is 1080i (the TV would then allow me to use other features with this source)
The package would be an ADDITIONAL £10 per month
They were prepared to waive the £75 installation fee, so I would have to pay £25 for the V+ box
I was then given the sales patter that I could watch HD films, thus making the XL package better value, however that would negate the replacement DVD Home Cinema purchase!

I then asked about the quality between the existing STB and V+ on 576i transmissions
At the moment many suffer from pixilation and loss of clarity
I was advised this would remain after upgrading on channels transmitted on 576i

Sadly with just seven HD channels that is still not enough to warrant paying out an extra £10 per month, at this time, as I would only watch two of them
I'll keep looking out for other channels being added over the coming months
Old 24-10-2009, 23:46   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

The V+ upscaling is great and well worth it in my opinion.
Old 26-10-2009, 06:52   #15
m8internet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
The V+ upscaling is great and well worth it in my opinion
I've not read or heard anything about "V+ upscaling"!?!
As far as I was aware all programs were transmitted at 576i, except the HD channels at 1080i