Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Routing internal cables

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Routing internal cables

Old 08-07-2009, 20:54   #1
fiendishlyclever
Inactive

fiendishlyclever is an unknown quantity at this point
Routing internal cables

I've had Virgin before and they just shoved a cable through an upstairs wall and shoved a connector on one end for my broadband.

I'm returning to Virgin shortly and have gone for tv and phone as well.

The tv point is dead in the centre of my house with no obvious route to lay a cable (the sky cable comes under the floor of my house to get to it).

Do Virgin installers work to the same rules as Sky installers - ie laying cable on the top of skirting boards? Clearly doing this would not be acceptable since there is no skirting board to follow etc.

My Sky cable is snagged so I can't use that to lay a draw-cable, a family member who is an electrician used some very bendy rods to lay the last one.

Do you think there is any chance of getting them to swap the long and inconvenient cable in the spare room for a socket on the wall (like I gather they should have done the first time).
fiendishlyclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2009, 23:37   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Routing internal cables

Cables would normally be surface fixed inside a property.

If you need them concealed, you need to make life very easy for the installer by ensuring there is easy access to your intended cable route, and even then you'd need to butter them up. Remember installers can't normally drill into ceilings, and enter roofspaces.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 19:47   #3
fiendishlyclever
Inactive

Thanks for the info

The nice helpful Virgin installer couldn't route the cables using the draw cable I managed to lay down (it was too stiff) but he left me a length of coax. I've put the cable in place under the floor boards from the virgin box to my tv.

I've decided I want my broadband in the same point - can they install a splitter and use the same coax for both?
Old 16-07-2009, 21:05   #4
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

Yes we can, its the same cable.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 21:18   #5
fiendishlyclever
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Yes we can, its the same cable.
Excellent! thanks for taking the time to reply
Old 16-07-2009, 21:21   #6
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

No Problem, feel free to gimme a shout should you require anything
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote