Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Divebombing seagulls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Divebombing seagulls

Old 03-07-2009, 21:35   #1
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Divebombing seagulls

This may sound like a laugh, but it's not. It's downright annoying.

On several roofs around the town, we have seagulls that breed in the summer. Recently, whenever I go down one particular road, I get constantly divebombed by this one overzealous protective seagull that thinks I'm gonna attack its young. Only snag is I don't particularly like heights so am unlikely to climb up on the roof. I'm on the road/path, just walking past, then get attacked by this seagull, divebombing me. It's even worse when I walk the dog along this road, as it's our normal route to walk the animal.

What am I within my legal rights to do about this feck of a bird? There are a couple around my area that are over-protective and divebomb people walking past. The last time I rang the council and asked what I could do about it, they said that I can't do anything about it because seagulls are protected, at which point I said I'd consider killing the buggers there and then because I am not being attacked every time I walk out the house. It'll turn me into an agoraphobe.

Have considered carrying a crowbar next time I walk down that road and am gonna see what contact comes about it. Perhaps then it'll learn.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2009, 22:17   #2
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
Re: Divebombing seagulls

Quote:
Have considered carrying a crowbar next time I walk down that road and am gonna see what contact comes about it. Perhaps then it'll learn.
You`d better not,you might find yourself doing some other form of bird.
Print off the dive-bomber below and stick him on a dart board instead....it wont stop the one concerned but it might make you feel better

bugger.jpg
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 22:21   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

They proberly have chicks nearby, thus doing what comes naturally.
Old 03-07-2009, 22:40   #4
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
They proberly have chicks nearby, thus doing what comes naturally.
I know they have chicks, what irks me is the fact I'm not allowed to do anything to protect myself whilst walking. I can't walk down that road without being accosted by this one bleeding seagull.
Old 03-07-2009, 22:45   #5
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Walk with a golf umbrella and use it as a shield
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 22:51   #6
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Don't have a golf umbrella, but do have an umbrella. That will be put to good use. I have a vengeful hate for this pest. Will ring the council Monday morning and see just what they say/recommend.
Old 03-07-2009, 22:58   #7
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Sea gulls are protected?

Apparently so..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...ed-status.html

Quote:
A spokesman for Defra said: "All wild birds - including gulls - are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Natural England derogates from this protection, for certain reasons such as public health or air safety, by issuing general licences. This is currently being reviewed."
however,

Quote:
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds has called for two species of gull to be removed from 'general licence', which gives councils the right to control numbers.
Conservationists say the rise in urban gulls is masking an overall decline in population of Great Black-backed gulls and Herring gulls.

Lunacy..it's like protecting the other flying vermin..the pigeon.
Old 03-07-2009, 23:16   #8
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Pigeon are vermin and aren't protected, no?

Yes, I was shocked to find they were a protected species, at which point the last time I rang the council I protested that "how could they be a protected species when they're breeding every year on people's houses?"

I'm also considering calling an exterminator and seeing whether other residents would also consider using his services.
Old 03-07-2009, 23:55   #9
Chicken
Inactive

Chicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud ofChicken has much to be proud of

A tennis racquet is a useful thing...
Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 23:59   #10
xpod
Inactive

xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Where else could you find a turkey* getting advise about seagulls from a chicken

EDIT:Says the penguin.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05   #11
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

It seems a pity that a damned seagull can attack people, but people cannot retaliate. Arnt Humans a protected species too???

Who will take the blame if this bird swoops on a child, or a baby??

My philosophy on life is live & let live, but if I`m attacked, I`m afraid I hit back. Next time you go out, take a cricket set with you, keep the bat in your hand.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22   #12
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

It's only going to be for a short period, whilst the chicks have grown; it's nothing personal...
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:13   #13
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Go out and buy a sparrow hawk chick, bring it up the right way and when it grows up into an adult you'll have no trouble with the seagulls, he'll see them all off. It's the only way to go these days.
Old 04-07-2009, 23:31   #14
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Your lucky they have only swooped on you. I've had two seagull chicks fall down my chimney (they nest on my roof), into the dining room which had just been decorated. The soot and mess was all over as the chicks panicked and ran about all over as we tried to usher them out the back door.

We've put a cap on the chimney now to prevent it happening again.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:51   #15
xpod
Inactive

Quote:
We've put a cap on the chimney now to prevent it happening again.
Thats a terrible thing to do.......

How the hell is Santa going to get down now?
;-)