Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Random 50mb browsing speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Random 50mb browsing speeds

Old 17-06-2009, 15:44   #1
Xteria
Inactive

Xteria is an unknown quantity at this point
Random 50mb browsing speeds

Hi, just a few questions - our internet seems a bit random at times. Sometimes pages load instant, sometimes they take a while to show - my downloads are sometimes affected aswell, with quite a variation in speeds at random times of the day?

I don't know what the modem power levels should be, are these ok?

Downstream:
Power Level (dBmV) 10.19 10.09 10.08 N/A
RxMER (dB) 36.84 36.39 37.09 N/A

Upstream:
Power Level
(dBmV) 26.50

I have a few critical items in modem event log to?
Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync

A couple of each for the last few days

Is that anything serious or just normal?

I find i have to reset modem/router sometimes aswell, it seems to get really sluggish? I'm hard wired from the wnr 2000 and my g/f connects via wireless.
Xteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2009, 15:52   #2
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice
Re: Random 50mb browsing speeds

Your upstream power level is too low, thats what will be causing loss of sync.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 17:40   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xteria View Post

Downstream:
Power Level (dBmV) 10.19 10.09 10.08 Borderline to high
RxMER (dB) 36.84 36.39 37.09

Upstream:
Power Level
(dBmV) 26.50 Way to low
You need a visit from a technician so call Tech Support for some help.

Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.

Virgin also disable most of the updates as they are not required so making it look even worse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 14:15   #4
Xteria
Inactive

Hi, going to ring up today - still haveing the same sluggish browsing and the odd internet restart issues. One other thing though, sometimes when i try to login to the modem, it takes a really really long time to display the cable modem information page - what's up with that?
Old 22-06-2009, 17:16   #5
Xteria
Inactive

Tech came out today, i was at work so my g/f was in. The technician didn't have an attenuator, so had to go get one from his manager, who came out with the technician when he returned - fitted a 10 dB forward path attenuator.

Downstream:
Power Level
(dBmV) 0.53 0.39 0.27

Upstream:
Power Level
(dBmV) 27.50

A difference of 1 for the upstream? Surely that just leaves my connection the way it was originally? sure feels like it anyway...

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Just like to add, my brother has 50mb, he lives about 12 streets away - his upstream power level is 50.25 and downstream -3.23

his connection seems so much smoother and faster to respond than mine does, even after the tech visit. I know all connections are different, but i'd like to get what i'm paying good money for.
Old 22-06-2009, 17:23   #6
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Did the tech see that upstream power level before he left? If so, he should have stayed and sorted it, it's still way too low.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 17:31   #7
Xteria
Inactive

She said after he fitted the attenuator he went back onto my pc, she doesn't know wether he checked the modem status age. When i rang originally, i was put through to the 50mb dept. and they even stated that the power level was to low and would cause my intermittent issues.

i dont get why it wasn't rectified then? If that was the main reason of the tech coming out....... i'll have to ring back i take it, i really do hate moaning about things, more so when i have to do it a few times :o
Old 22-06-2009, 17:37   #8
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Call back now, the tech will be working until 7. Tell them the engineer was supposed to correct the power level but hasn't and you want him back to fix it.
Call again and again and again until you're happy, at the end of the day you're paying for a service and the low upstream power level is impacting on that service.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 18:33   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Tech came out today, i was at work so my g/f was in. The technician didn't have an attenuator, so had to go get one from his manager, who came out with the technician when he returned - fitted a 10 dB forward path attenuator.

Upstream:
Power Level
(dBmV) 27.50

They are extracting the urine from you and if you find out that no one going to comeback call 150 or 0845 454 1111 and wait for the option "Thinking of leaving us" and speak to Retentions and tell them you are not satisfied with what they have done today.
Old 22-06-2009, 19:37   #10
Xteria
Inactive

I rang earlier, could of had a re-visit sooner but work and stuff so got an evening slot for friday.

I have to say though, on both occasions i've rang 150 and customer services have been excellent. They always put me through to the right people after telling them the issue

It's great hearing a liverpudlian accent as they say exactly what's wrong and always arrange visits from an engineer within a day or two

This issue aside, i've always had trouble free internet and tv from virgin, alot of years at my parents and the 2 years we've lived here. The service has been excellent!
Old 23-06-2009, 06:35   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I rang earlier, could of had a re-visit sooner but work and stuff so got an evening slot for friday.

I have to say though, on both occasions i've rang 150 and customer services have been excellent. They always put me through to the right people after telling them the issue

It's great hearing a liverpudlian accent as they say exactly what's wrong and always arrange visits from an engineer within a day or two

This issue aside, i've always had trouble free internet and tv from virgin, alot of years at my parents and the 2 years we've lived here. The service has been excellent!
If you ring the number below you will get a 50Mb trained agent.

As for the engineer times we can only give what is available at the time you call in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50Mb support line number.

0800 052 0431

Do not call if not 50Mb as you will be asked to hang up as the is no facility to transfer you to Broadband Support.
Old 26-06-2009, 19:40   #12
Xteria
Inactive

Engineer came today, it's been ****ing down and he had just been on a garden job so didn't come in as he was up to the eyeballs.

He checked the pit outside and showed me in his van that the upstream was only 16. He said that network will have to come out and sort it, it's either an issue with a card in the cab or this metal thing he showed me in the pit, that the seperate house connections screw into.

After he explained, it now makes sense why sometimes i've had non responsive issues with interactive/red button stuff on the v box.

Really satisfied at how quick they are resolving the issues, considering i don't have a total lack of service. Very glad at being treated like a valued customer

Cheers for the help moldova
Old 26-06-2009, 19:50   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Engineer came today, it's been ****ing down and he had just been on a garden job so didn't come in as he was up to the eyeballs.

He checked the pit outside and showed me in his van that the upstream was only 16. He said that network will have to come out and sort it, it's either an issue with a card in the cab or this metal thing he showed me in the pit, that the seperate house connections screw into.

After he explained, it now makes sense why sometimes i've had non responsive issues with interactive/red button stuff on the v box.

Really satisfied at how quick they are resolving the issues, considering i don't have a total lack of service. Very glad at being treated like a valued customer

Cheers for the help moldova
Keep us updated with your progress.
Old 27-06-2009, 17:49   #14
Xteria
Inactive

They didn't come to the house today, but it looks sorted - unsure wether it was the thing in the pit or the cabinet, is there a way i can find out what was actually wrong?

Telly froze for a second or two a few times, a few hours ago. So must of been then

Upstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 42.50

Downstream

Power Level
(dBmV) 0.87 0.68 0.80

Sorted very happy with everything virgin have done, one continually happy customer

P.S

Does anybody know of an address for my regional virgin hq, gateshead? would like to send a nice letter
Old 27-06-2009, 21:48   #15
Xteria
Inactive

Guy called in not long after i made the above post, said he'd changed an amplifier