Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ADSL only works when phone in use

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ADSL only works when phone in use

Old 04-06-2009, 12:09   #1
tallymanjohn

Services: Sky digital/2.0MbNTL!!
ADSL only works when phone in use

This has probably been answered before but a search didn't bring back anything. The problem is that broadband will not work unless the phone is in use - just needs to be off the hook. We've changed the filter (there's only one connected phone) but still no joy, so we figure it must be a line fault, high impedance or whatever. The problem is that it's Virgin ADSL and the phone line is with Sky & neither wants to help - Virgin say their line tests are ok and that it must be a line problem, & Sky aren't interested because voice calls are fine. Is there anything else we can check, & any suggestions about how to get it sorted.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2009, 12:38   #2
ro53ben

Re: ADSL only works when phone in use

You really need a tech to take a look, so I suggest you threaten to disconnect both of them. If they let you leave, do so.

Why do you have a Sky phoneline without their DSL? The only reason to have a Sky phoneline, I thought?

As an afterthought - if you plug another phone in another extension does it add enough signal drop to make the DSL work?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:44   #3
smeagoly1
Inactive

Services: Bugger all now apart from 8meg ADSL and only 2 meg at best!!!! I want my 20meg cable back!
smeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nice

If the phone socket your using has a test socket, try plugging the filter in there. The test socket looks like a normal BT socket but with a rectangular faceplate above. It's something tech support with BT or VM always ask me if i have had a problem with my VM adsl on a BT line.

You can if you know it, access the routers web page and get current line stats, i.e noise and attenuation levels. Anything out of the norm, should alert tech support when you give them the details. The IP sould be printed underneath your router or with the manuals. My Netgear DG834v3 shows up a host of values for the current line.

But i know your problems, I have both BT and VM bouncing me between each other. One of the true pitfalls of adsl with any provider.
smeagoly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:54   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I've had this happen to me, and it was a line fault. I have Virgin ADSL but thankfully the phone is with BT and the problem also manifested itself as an audible crackle on voice calls, so I was able to get BT out on that pretext. They traced and repaired the fault somewhere down the road and my ADSL was miraculously fixed also.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 13:00   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

VM should be escalating it to sky talk line (WLR) as a fault so that Sky can get openreach to look at it. Sky talk won't do this as the voice side of the line is fine. It's a situation that also occurs when BT has line rental and a LLU is on the line with ADSL, due to the costs that can occur from the engineer call out neither side want to do their job.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 13:31   #6
tallymanjohn

Thanks for replies. Already tried plugging straight into the master socket when I swapped filters. The Sky/virgin thing is that was originally with Virgin for broadband but only got Sky 3-4 months ago and didn't want to change e-mail addresses. If no joy then it looks like I will have to start threatening to leave - at least if it's all with Sky I may have a bit more luck. As the problem's only recently started a friend suggested it's the spell of hot dry weather has done something to the underground cables. Shall post if I get a positive result.
Old 04-06-2009, 13:52   #7
ro53ben

Never use ISP email.

Register a gmail address, use it, switch to cheapest provider, take email with you.
Old 04-06-2009, 14:12   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

I've seen this a couple of times, it's normally a problem with the wiring at each end or the wire itself
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 14:58   #9
tallymanjohn

Unfortunately I use e-mail for professional purposes and I've found webmail addresses aren't considered 'proper' - maybe a bit old-fashioned, but remembering the problems with Hotmail addresses in the past I can appreciate this. I'm thinking about getting a domain name set up as they're not expensive which will, of course, be 'transportable'.

That's the trouble with wires - they're always connected (hopefully) to something. ;-)
Old 04-06-2009, 18:27   #10
ro53ben

I understand your feelings about the hotmail "image" problems, but I don't see any difference between that and an @ntlworld or @sky address. Gmail is extensively used in business and you can also use gmail in combination with a registered domain if required.

Just promise me that you'll never give out an ISP email address again
Old 04-06-2009, 18:40   #11
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallymanjohn View Post
Unfortunately I use e-mail for professional purposes and I've found webmail addresses aren't considered 'proper' - maybe a bit old-fashioned, but remembering the problems with Hotmail addresses in the past I can appreciate this. I'm thinking about getting a domain name set up as they're not expensive which will, of course, be 'transportable'.

That's the trouble with wires - they're always connected (hopefully) to something. ;-)
I thought that, and I was told a simple "your.name@yahoo/gmail.com" is acceptable, hence why I have now taken that one in my CV.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 18:46   #12
tallymanjohn

Yes, I agree that it's becoming more commonplace and acceptable, but it's still regarded, in certain circles, as a 'transient' address - similar to the analogy of renting a property or owning a property - out of date, yes, but still taken note of. Also, I still get a lot of spam from bogus webmail and unknown domain addresses - fewer from 'known ISP' addresses.