Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will This Work for 50 MEG BB ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will This Work for 50 MEG BB ?

Old 22-05-2009, 10:26   #1
die5el
Inactive

die5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nice
Will This Work for 50 MEG BB ?

Hi all i am thinking of getting the 50 meg broadband when it goes live in swansea i have got a netgear 54Mbps wireless router model number WRG 614 V6 will this router support the 50meg broadband or will i have to buy a different one ? If i got to get a diffrent router which one will be the best to buy? Any replies much appeciated thanks in advance.
die5el is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2009, 10:29   #2
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Will This Work for 50 MEG BB ?

You get a new router and N wireless stick with the install.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 11:20   #3
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

As a wired connection that router would be fine wireless the max speed you will get is 24Mb/s, but was southwell said you get a netgear router and USB stick when you have the 50Mb installed make sure you ask for it when you order it.

The new router is the WNR2000 Netgear and is N router which is able to provide 50Mb over wireless.
Old 22-05-2009, 11:21   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Well maximum of about 48Mbit over wireless
Old 22-05-2009, 12:08   #5
die5el
Inactive

die5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nice

Thanks for the replies tbh i dont use the wireless option i have gone the hardwire route lol the info is very helpfull though if i ever decide to go down the wireless option now waiting for swansea to go live for the 50 meg
die5el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 13:58   #6
DigitalShadow
Data King

Services: 300Mbit - Give me MOAR!
DigitalShadow will become famous soon enoughDigitalShadow will become famous soon enoughDigitalShadow will become famous soon enough

get a wnr854t, i've pulled just over 120mbit on wireless.. so 50mbit wouldn't be a problem
DigitalShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 15:21   #7
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
As a wired connection that router would be fine wireless the max speed you will get is 24Mb/s, but was southwell said you get a netgear router and USB stick when you have the 50Mb installed make sure you ask for it when you order it.

The new router is the WNR2000 Netgear and is N router which is able to provide 50Mb over wireless.
Up to 300mbit actually (minus overheads of course)
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 19:41   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

A Theoretical 300Mbits

The N router we had - even though it was saying it was connected at over 100Mbit - wouldn't transfer internally any quicker than 50Mbit
Old 23-05-2009, 09:12   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
Up to 300mbit actually (minus overheads of course)
Which are over 2/3rds of the 'up to' speed
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 17:32   #10
Planetgarb
Inactive

Services: Tivo 152meg BB Phone
Planetgarb is on a distinguished roadPlanetgarb is on a distinguished road

I have the Linksys by Cisco WRT160N router will the usb stick work with this.

Thanks
Planetgarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 19:16   #11
BusyBee
Inactive

BusyBee is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been up graded to the 50meg on virgin but i cant get my chat room open on winmx i am a host on there i think the wireless router is sh** it cuts ur speed can anyone help plzzzzzz
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote