Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I've seen a small bit of road digging

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I've seen a small bit of road digging

Old 16-05-2009, 14:58   #1
adman45
Inactive

adman45 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've seen a small bit of road digging

On a cabled road near where I live i notice that VM had dug up a small part of the road to provide a cable point for a house they missed in the original install, 8 years ago. Is this an indication of the new policy??
adman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2009, 15:13   #2
xocemp

Re: I've seen a small bit of road digging

I hope so, the building next to my new place is cabled as is the flats opposite me, though the post code checker says "No"

And though I have a BT master socket in my living room BT say its not a serviced address and I can take a 18 month contract to waive the £122 charge, sadly they can't get me an engineer out for just over 2 weeks.

VirginMedia & BT, you fail on a massive scale!
Old 16-05-2009, 15:20   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It sounds consistent with their newly-stated policy of infilling the gaps within their local distribution networks around the UK. Good news indeed, if this is what it is. The number of threads we get on here that go something like 'VM say I can't have cable, even though my neighbour has it' is quite shocking.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 15:29   #4
xocemp

Hi,

Thanks for giving us your details.

We need to do some checks to figure out whether we can provide you with our on cable Virgin Media services.

We'll be in touch in the next couple of weeks to arrange the best time to do this.

The whole adventure is just beginning, so stay tuned.

The Virgin Media team

We'll see
Old 16-05-2009, 17:18   #5
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

There r a number of streets in Swansea that has Cable one side of the street but not the other!
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 18:57   #6
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

that goes for a lot of areas that are ducted up chris.the cableco's at the time of the dig had to apply for licences from the government to dig an area,they were granted with the stipulation of only passing so many homes.
time was then spent with the council planners as to were the nodes/muxes would be situated,and the dig agreed,hence the ductwork passing more 'built-up' urban areas to maximise the cost of the dig i.e. pass as many homes as possible in the least possible meterage.(there are 'as-built' drawings now, as a lot of the original sitings for nodes/muxes werent or couldnt be adhered to).

so when the homes passed reached its licence limit the dig stopped,irrespective of half/one side of a street being dug.
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 22:19   #7
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman45 View Post
On a cabled road near where I live i notice that VM had dug up a small part of the road to provide a cable point for a house they missed in the original install, 8 years ago. Is this an indication of the new policy??
if they dug up less than 10ft I wouldn't get excited. They've been digging up less than 10ft for yonks, if on the other hand they've dug up 100 ft of pavement then yes that would be a sign of a new policy.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 23:45   #8
adman45
Inactive

adman45 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was only a small amount, but its the first bit i've seen round here in years.
adman45 is offline   Reply With Quote