Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Taking up smoking!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Taking up smoking!!!

Old 15-05-2009, 14:50   #1
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Taking up smoking!!!

BEFORE you lot think that I'm talking about a dispicable nicotine habit let me assure you that I'm talking about smoking food!!!

I've thought about smoking my own food for a couple of years but only just got round to putting my plan into action....

All thanks to Jen's (my partner) requirements (and nothing to do with food) I've finally gone ahead and planned a food smoker.

So got together one smoke generator (small ammo box) a length of 100mm metal air-con pipe (£5 from B&Q) and a smoker unit.. (one under the counter fridge which Jen wanted the compressor from so she could have a suction pump for her GRP projects - found on a lay-bye on the A6 so we're also responsible for cleaning up the countryside )

We've also got the trunk of an offshoot from our greengage tree (could also go with hickoy, elder, oak, other fruit) that I'm gonna chip/sawdust...

Gonna piece it all together probably this weekend and then test it out on some cheap sausages, chicken, pollack fillets, garlic bulbs and cheese...

Will let you guys know the results on the burp-o-meter
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-05-2009, 15:05   #2
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch
Re: Taking up smoking!!!

Sounds amazing, making me hungry tho!
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 15:09   #3
Scarlett
Inactive

Scarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Scarlett

We tried smoking fish but the ciggys kept going out...
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 15:14   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I will be interested in hearing how you go on Kymmy.

Last summer I experimented with smoking chicken using Tea leaves, with my old wok as a smoker, on our gas barbeque. Took a couple of tries to get the flavour right but I shall be definitely doing it again this summer.
Old 15-05-2009, 15:29   #5
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I made a smoker using an old biscuit tin, and some chicken wire mesh. Something I saw on a jamie oliver episode and it worked a treat.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 15:44   #6
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

My father used to smoke fish and meat. In Africa he constructed a big smoking 'cupboard' connected to a fire by pipework. Here he used a tin and pine sawdust (which we could only get from Harrods)
Old 15-05-2009, 15:53   #7
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
I made a smoker using an old biscuit tin, and some chicken wire mesh. Something I saw on a jamie oliver episode and it worked a treat.
That's the program that started me off as well.

My first effort resulted in a biscuit tin, with a hole burnt in the bottom, and a mixture of burnt sugar, rice and tealeaves melded to my glass hotplate. I set off every smoke detector in the house and John banned me and my smoker from the kitchen forcing me to continue my experiments at the bottom of the garden.
Old 15-05-2009, 16:03   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Pine isn't that suitable for smoking , apparently it gives the produce a bitter taste..

We have a greengage tree at the back and a maple at the front that should supply the sawdust... (any hardwood fruit tree is suitable, as well as the usual oak, elder, maple and hickory
Old 15-05-2009, 16:13   #9
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Shame your not local to me I could supply you with all the free sawdust and chippings you could need. Oak, maple, cherry, walnut, beech etc.

Good luck with the project, I'll put my order in now for some kippers or herring
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 16:16   #10
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Pine isn't that suitable for smoking , apparently it gives the produce a bitter taste..
I beg to differ young padawan

It depends on the pine
Old 15-05-2009, 16:19   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Just going by what wikipedia says

Quote:
Some softwoods — especially pines and firs — hold significant quantities of resin, which produces a harsh-tasting soot when burned. Because of this, these woods are generally not used for smoking.
Though yes I have heard of certain foods being smoked in pine but not in the UK
Old 15-05-2009, 16:21   #12
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

Though yes I have heard of certain foods being smoked in pine but not in the UK
That'll be it......we used to buy bags of the stuff imported from scandinavia.....
Old 15-05-2009, 16:48   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
That'll be it......we used to buy bags of the stuff imported from scandinavia.....
Any idea if the type of pine??
Old 15-05-2009, 17:13   #14
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Not offhand, this is going back to the 1980s. All I know is that he used to send me to Harrods to buy it as that was the only place we knew to get it from.....
Old 15-05-2009, 17:44   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

LOL, I know that homebase sells chipped oak but my view is that I live in a small village surrounded by countryside so what's the point in paying for it..

Anyway I have a maple growing in the front that I can prune and I've just recovered a 3ft trunk of greengage that Jen pruned last year that I've just chop-sawwed 8 inches to produce a bag full of slivers/dust which will do fine for experimenting with

Currently total cost of this smoker is about £10 (ammo-box I bought 4 for £20 for geocaching and the pipe was £5 from B&Q)