Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fixed IP Address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Fixed IP Address

Old 08-04-2009, 10:41   #1
asalcedo
Inactive

asalcedo is an unknown quantity at this point
Fixed IP Address

I got yesterday connected to the 50MB/s service.

I selected "Use Static IP Address" in the Negear WNR2000 router that they provided.

It worked well for a while but this morning I did not have Internet.

Resetting the modem and router did not help.

It was fixed only when I clicked on "Get dynamically Internet IP address from ISP".

My IP address is the same as yesteday anyway.

I do need/wish fixed IP address.

Does VM provide fixed IP addresses?

If so, to get a fixed IP address is it a matter of just clicking on "Use Static IP Address" or do I need to contact VM ?

Thanks,

Antonio
asalcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Fixed IP Address

VM do not offer static IPs on their residential service.

What they do offer is what they apparently call Sticky IPs. Basically, the way their system works is that when your modem requests a new IP, generally (unless there has been network maintenance or there is some other reason), you'll get the same one you just had.

They do this anyway.

The Use static IP address option on your router is there because the router is not designed specifically for Virgin. It is designed for general network use, When it is ticked, generally routers will not look on the network for an IP, but will use whichever one you enter (although it has to be a valid IP assigned by your ISP otherwise it will not work). As such, you should only use the option when you are directed to do so by your ISP and using the details they give you.

Depending on what you need the fixed IP for, a "Dynamic DNS" service (such as http://www.dyndns.com/ ) may be of some help. You either need to have a small program running on your PC or have support built into your router, but they allow you to get a domain name which will point to your PC or router regardless of the IP it is given.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:08   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Virginmedia only use Dynamic IP addresses so setting you IP to Static can and will lose the connection.

Sticky IP's are only provided through the business arm http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/ and being business orientated you will be expected to pay more for that facility.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33   #4
asalcedo
Inactive

asalcedo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Stuart,

Thank you for your helpul and precise message.

I am familiar with DynDns, although not ideal, I will revert to that.

My other ISP, Be Un Limited, does offer fixed IP addresses at no extra cost.

Any chances that VM will do the same even if at a reasonable cost?

Regards,

Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
VM do not offer static IPs on their residential service.

What they do offer is what they apparently call Sticky IPs. Basically, the way their system works is that when your modem requests a new IP, generally (unless there has been network maintenance or there is some other reason), you'll get the same one you just had.

They do this anyway.

The Use static IP address option on your router is there because the router is not designed specifically for Virgin. It is designed for general network use, When it is ticked, generally routers will not look on the network for an IP, but will use whichever one you enter (although it has to be a valid IP assigned by your ISP otherwise it will not work). As such, you should only use the option when you are directed to do so by your ISP and using the details they give you.

Depending on what you need the fixed IP for, a "Dynamic DNS" service (such as http://www.dyndns.com/ ) may be of some help. You either need to have a small program running on your PC or have support built into your router, but they allow you to get a domain name which will point to your PC or router regardless of the IP it is given.
asalcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalcedo View Post

My other ISP, Be Un Limited, does offer fixed IP addresses at no extra cost.

Any chances that VM will do the same even if at a reasonable cost?
Virgin do not provide static IP's for residential customers, I work for them so I should know.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote