Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | STM Typo?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

STM Typo?

Old 24-03-2009, 07:18   #1
madbill
Inactive

madbill is an unknown quantity at this point
STM Typo?

Hi,

Getting virgin services soon (L) and was reviewing the STM at

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

The following example is given:

"An example of how this works is that if a broadband size L customer downloaded 1200MB of data between 4pm and 9pm, their speed would be temporarily managed with their download speed set to 7.5Mb and their upload speed to 884Kb for 5 hours."

AFAICS, L is 512kb upstream, so if that was throttled, it would be 384kb (512*.075)?

Ta.
madbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2009, 07:29   #2
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
Re: STM Typo?

Yup it's a typo, it's also been reported about 5 times too.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 07:32   #3
madbill
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
Yup it's a typo, it's also been reported about 5 times too.
Ta - if it is anything like my place changing some obvious typo will still involve a change request and all the other onerous process that goes with it
Old 24-03-2009, 22:21   #4
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Doubly wrong, if they throttle TO 75%, 10 goes to 7.5, then you might as well not care and call it a full time 7.5Mb service with boost.

Surely it is throttled BY 75%, down to 2.5Mb ?
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 22:26   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
Doubly wrong, if they throttle TO 75%, 10 goes to 7.5, then you might as well not care and call it a full time 7.5Mb service with boost.

Surely it is throttled BY 75%, down to 2.5Mb ?
The bold part is correct, throttled by 75% not down to 75%
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 06:51   #6
madbill
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
The bold part is correct, throttled by 75% not down to 75%
Hmmm, I've gone from thinking typo to nigh on misselling - it clearly states
"An example of how this works is that if a broadband size L customer downloaded 1200MB of data between 4pm and 9pm, their speed would be temporarily managed with their download speed set to 7.5Mb and their upload speed to 884Kb for 5 hours."

Based on the fact I have ordered on this description, I suspect I will be getting a refund.

Old 25-03-2009, 11:27   #7
mattford63
Inactive

mattford63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I recently filed a ticket with Virgin about the example and I'm yet to have any response. I agree it is misleading. Oddly there is a second page with the correct stats here:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html

Matt.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

Also, in the ticket I argued that the separation of download and upload is misleading as both have throttle rates and different quotas but in reality the actual throttling is applied to both no matter which triggers it. i.e., if you upload a load of stuff but download nothing then you download is also throttled. Fair enough - but it's far from clear on the web page.
mattford63 is offline   Reply With Quote