Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media unservicable property investigations

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media unservicable property investigations

Old 17-03-2009, 18:08   #1
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Virgin Media unservicable property investigations

This should be marked sticky!

Many people have had problems with the post code search checker on the Virgin Media Website. Its telling people that they live in a non-servicable area/address or can only recieve Analogue Cable services.

You can check to see if your property can get Cable by telephoning the Investigations team on 0121-683-7638 and leaving your details on the automated system. It will be investigated locally rather than a call centre miles away.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2009, 19:15   #2
chuzzlemonkey
Inactive

Services: V+ TV:XL Broadband:XL Telco:XL
chuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media unservicable property investigations

Yup.

Also customer services/sales can transfer you through to that answering machine, so if you don't want to pay for the call and come accross a free sales number, then that'd do the trick

Bare in mind, if it is determined that you definately are not serviceable, you will not hear back from VM.
chuzzlemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 19:47   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Is Investigations Team a new title for Spotters? I think that's what it used to be called?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 19:50   #4
chuzzlemonkey
Inactive

chuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quads

As far as i'm aware there is no investigation team.

It just sends a message through to the spotters who get it checked out.

Bet they'd like to be called the investigation team, though. Much better job title! lol
Old 17-03-2009, 19:51   #5
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

No I chose 'Investigations team' 'spotters' sounds like someone that hangs about Crewe Railway station LOL
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 19:54   #6
chuzzlemonkey
Inactive

lol in which case they've just added INVESTIGATIONS TEAM to the title.
Old 18-03-2009, 09:41   #7
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

are these the people that claim to get back to u within 72 hrs and take 2 weeks? lol
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 09:44   #8
chuzzlemonkey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
are these the people that claim to get back to u within 72 hrs and take 2 weeks? lol
No these are the people who don't get back to you at all if you're not serviceable! lol

If you are then you might hear something back, if they remember to call you! More often than not they just wait for you to call back and update the system so that CSC/SALES can tell you whether you're serviceable or not.
Old 18-03-2009, 10:23   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The telephone number isn't used anymore.

You can either fill this form in online http://allyours.virginmedia.com/form...ableLeads.html

or get an agent to fill in the internal form
Old 18-03-2009, 11:49   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Incredible, a company that thinks its a great idea to let potential customers beg for its services ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 11:54   #11
chuzzlemonkey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Incredible, a company that thinks its a great idea to let potential customers beg for its services ...
lol i don't think that's the approach. Its more a case of bad management somewhere. VM don't exactly know 100% which properties that are currently not being serviced are serviceable.
Old 18-03-2009, 13:07   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Indeed. Lets just say the database records from some of the older systems are not as accurate as they could be

Plus for some properties the records could be 10/15 years old
Old 18-03-2009, 22:27   #13
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

the VM data base will never be 100% accurate. some of then reasons for this are

A. One dwelling since the original survey's been converted into flats, on the data base it will show as one dwelling possibly with active customer. Other flats are not there.

B. A garage may have been flattened and turned into houses, on the data base it just shows as a business.

C. A complicated installation would have been flagged non serve due to multiply wayleaves etc on the original survey. Address is on the data base, neighbor can have it, but this address requires wayleave and construction.

I hope this explains why the data base is inaccurate. The fact is that towns and cities evolve but the database can't evolve without a bit of help from the local office.

I think a better name for a spotter would be 'territory manager'.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 18:27   #14
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but the old issues here continue.

I stupidly stuck my new postcode into VM's postcode checker and found that I wasn't cabled so started to make other arrangements. Only when I realised how poor my BT line was going to be did I ring VM to cancel my service and also to mention to them that I find it odd that my road isn't covered.

She put in my postcode and found that my next door neighbour (no. 115 - we'll be 117) is fully cabled up.

She said she'd send out a spotter to look at it. I got a call from the local spotter a few hours later letting me know that he'd be looking into it on Tuesday.

While I'm impressed by the speed at which the spotter let me know he'd be looking at it, I don't understand why after all this time the database still isn't up-to-date when their central billing database obviously is up to date. We're exactly the same postcode as our next door neighbours.

Anyway, I'm hoping that we can get it installed around next weekend and it won't be too much work. I'm guessing they can take a splitter off where there's a connection on the street for next door and just do a small amount of digging to get it round to my house!
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 19:05   #15
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Its not quite as simple as a whole postcode area being serviceable, your property may not be serviced as a Tee was never fitted when the network was installed originally, this is more common than you might think.

Or it could be that when the street was built, none of the houses were active until field sales released them for sale when someone signed up...

The possibilities as to why your house is currently "unserviceable" are endless, remember that local data may be up to 20 years old, that's when some of the first cable network was put in place.

Hopefully no construction work will be required and the spotter can just get your home released and ready for sale, the Installers should be able to carry out any required work. If construction is required then you should be advised in advance.

Lets us know how it go's!

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote