Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 50Mbit Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

50Mbit Question

Old 17-03-2009, 14:24   #1
Kevin
Inactive

Services: 10Mb Broadband
Kevin will become famous soon enoughKevin will become famous soon enoughKevin will become famous soon enough
50Mbit Question

Hi all,

I have ordered 50Mbit and its due for fitting on Thursday, I have 10mbit at the moment, my question is does this come with a Wireless N Router, reading on cableforum I see some mention of it but I have not seen any "official" confirmation that I will be getting a router on Thursday ?.

Kindest Regards
Kev.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2009, 14:29   #2
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age
Re: 50Mbit Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hi all,

I have ordered 50Mbit and its due for fitting on Thursday, I have 10mbit at the moment, my question is does this come with a Wireless N Router, reading on cableforum I see some mention of it but I have not seen any "official" confirmation that I will be getting a router on Thursday ?.

Kindest Regards
Kev.
all 50meg customers get the wireless N-router and dongle for free,either posted out to you or the tech will bring it with him,enjoy.
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 14:31   #3
Kevin
Inactive

Services: 10Mb Broadband
Kevin will become famous soon enoughKevin will become famous soon enoughKevin will become famous soon enough

thanks for clearing that one up for me....
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 14:52   #4
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

thought the wireless 'n' router send by UPS delivery and the modem send by VM man from his van ?
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 14:56   #5
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
thought the wireless 'n' router send by UPS delivery and the modem send by VM man from his van ?
my wireless was send by VM man in van not send by ups
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 14:57   #6
on in an hour!
Inactive

on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
we got a delivery of 50 (router and dongle in same box) so dished those out to the techs,they also got 2 via by-box,now,as long as the wireless code is on the job ICOMS picks it up when its closed down and orders a replacement through the individuals by-box
thats routers/dongles and 50meg modems.
Old 17-03-2009, 14:57   #7
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
my wireless was send by VM man in van not send by ups
oh it must have changed now from VM. Last time I had free wireless router as it came by UPS delivery while the VM man bring his modem with him and installed cable broadband in my house last year.
Old 17-03-2009, 15:00   #8
on in an hour!
Inactive

Quote:
oh it must have changed now from VM. Last time I had free wireless router as it came by UPS delivery while the VM man bring his modem with him and installed cable broadband in my house last year.
that would have been one of the install partners,all the 50meg are being done in-house at the moment,partners have a fixed stores where they had the routers delivered to and so started taking them to the modem installs (pre 50meg),service techs have to use a locker system for boxes/routers/modems and consumables
Old 17-03-2009, 16:21   #9
ReNZoR
Inactive

ReNZoR is an unknown quantity at this point

With my installation last Friday 13th, my N router arrived by UPS on the Wednesday (11th), then on the Friday the engineer arrived (who was actually the area Supervisor :O) and he also brought a Wireless N router with him - incase mine never arrived/wasn't sent out.
ReNZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 11:34   #10
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
thanks for clearing that one up for me....
Also when you install your adaptor, instead of using the provided CD, which is already out of date, get the drivers from,

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers...iverupdate.php

This is the most up-to-date driver Netgear has provided VM.

Mind you, if you can, you should connect your PC direct to your router via ethernet. You will not get 50 mb on a wireless link. I have kept the wireless adaptor for one of my lap tops.

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 12:45   #11
CM20 User

Services: Soon to be NONE

That's a rather disgraceful ping you're geting there roughbeast, I though the 50Mb was supposed to be "fast"?
Old 18-03-2009, 13:59   #12
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM20 User View Post
That's a rather disgraceful ping you're geting there roughbeast, I though the 50Mb was supposed to be "fast"?
Lolz. Always get rubbish ping on that test server. Dunno why. I get 6ms on BBC.co.uk and 8ms on Wolfenstien Enemy Territory Euroservers.

Ping test I just did:-
C:\Documents and Settings\Vince>ping pingtest.co.uk

Pinging pingtest.co.uk [85.113.82.116] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 85.113.82.116: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=57
Reply from 85.113.82.116: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=57
Reply from 85.113.82.116: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=57
Reply from 85.113.82.116: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 85.113.82.116:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 11ms

See still rubbish ping, but my average download speed is 55mb. Top speed was 58.9 mb.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 16:26   #13
CM20 User

Services: Soon to be NONE

Thanks for the explanation RB, nice to know the pings are low. May consider upgrading to 50Mb in the future if Virgin Media can offer a better upload than 1.5Mb
Old 18-03-2009, 16:40   #14
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM20 User View Post
Thanks for the explanation RB, nice to know the pings are low. May consider upgrading to 50Mb in the future if Virgin Media can offer a better upload than 1.5Mb

Thought VM going to bring 5Mbps upload in due course ? I think 50Mbps downstream and 25Mbps upload seem very fair !
Old 19-03-2009, 15:03   #15
K3V1N
Inactive

Services: SKY
K3V1N is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again, got my 50mbit in but my speedtest from speedtest.net is showing which seems a bit slow any ideas ?

My Newsgroup download is showing around 5.78 megabytes a sec is this normal ?

Kindest Regards
Kev.
K3V1N is offline   Reply With Quote