Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Medical Advice: Anxiety

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Medical Advice: Anxiety

Old 02-03-2009, 18:11   #1
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Medical Advice: Anxiety

Exam months approaching and for me it usually means longs periods of anxiety, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, loss of appetite and lying awake all night in a cold sweat.

Does this constitute a panic attack? Is it bad enough to warrant medication?

I had hoped to grow out of it, but while my other neurosis have improved this seems worse each year.
Old 02-03-2009, 18:35   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Medical Advice: Anxiety

Sounds like a panic attack. I take 2-4mg of Diazepam to alleviate my anxiety / panic attacks. It works for me. (Taken on an as and when basis).
Old 02-03-2009, 18:37   #3
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I took valerian (or something like 'Kalms' with valerian in it) which helped me....
Old 02-03-2009, 18:44   #4
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I took valerian (or something like 'Kalms' with valerian in it) which helped me....
I've tried kalms and a few over the counter sleeping aids last year, they weren't too effective.
Old 02-03-2009, 18:49   #5
demented
Inactive

Services: 4Mbs, V+, XLtv + premium channels.
demented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud of

This might sound silly but I found rooibos tea relaxing and I say that as someone with a geeky worrying disposition which medication doesn't usually work. Or maybe it was the reduced levels of caffeine, who knows.
demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 19:19   #6
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
I've tried kalms and a few over the counter sleeping aids last year, they weren't too effective.
I've used a few sleeping aids too, Valerian is much better than Kalms, Nytol etc etc, as Rammy suggests. Only been using Valerian for a couple of weeks, but so far, can recommend them highly.

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=11051
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 20:02   #7
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

When I was doing my exams and for my driving test I took some Bach's Rescue Remedy. It seemed to work.

http://www.bachflower.com/

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 20:11   #8
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Exam months approaching and for me it usually means longs periods of anxiety, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, loss of appetite and lying awake all night in a cold sweat.

Does this constitute a panic attack? Is it bad enough to warrant medication?

I had hoped to grow out of it, but while my other neurosis have improved this seems worse each year.

Pop and see your doctor mate, i had these a while ago and learned to deal with them but not before i had to take some Diazepam to start with.
You can snap yourself out of them but not before you realise that no harm will come to you.
The worse that can happen is you`ll faint and then your breathing will become normal again, it`s just hyperventilation, which is you get a build up of carbon dioxide crystals in the blood and you feel that you`re not getting enough air, so you overbreathe.
They`re bloody awful though and they can come and go without warning.
I found that i could get out of one by getting someone to talk about any old rubbish to me just as a distraction.!
I even went around where i work reading car number plates it worked though. Hope you get through this ok.
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote