Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do you 'nip it in the butt'? Well you shouldn't!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do you 'nip it in the butt'? Well you shouldn't!

Old 24-02-2009, 22:47   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Do you 'nip it in the butt'? Well you shouldn't!

And here's why.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-Britain.html

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2009, 22:51   #2
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Do you 'nip it in the butt'? Well you shouldn't!

On youtube somewhere there's a video of John Cleese ranting at americans for saying "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"
Old 24-02-2009, 22:51   #3
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Strange. Only 3 of the 10 'misquotes' I've ever heard anyone say... though I must admit I didn't know that #10 was incorrect.
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 23:26   #4
mischievious
Inactive

Services: Sky
mischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
On youtube somewhere there's a video of John Cleese ranting at americans for saying "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"
It is possible that he meant what he was saying. He is very literate not without fault but it is likely that this was deliberate.
mischievious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 23:28   #5
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievious View Post
It is possible that he meant what he was saying. He is very literate not without fault but it is likely that this was deliberate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUsPnKD1gk

Here it is.
Old 24-02-2009, 23:42   #6
mischievious
Inactive

mischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of light

I admit to 8 & 10. However I don't think the artilce is aimed at many of us, but what has become the "CHAV" culture. All I know is it is supposed to be about burberry, tracksuits tucked into socks, ASBO style cars, init, "know what I mean" etc....

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Thanks I very much liked the vid.... his point seemed very clear. His point was toward americans who say "I could care less". Then goes onto state that if 0 were the value you'd assign to "I couldn't care any less" should be stated as "I couldn't care any less". If you say "I could care less" then this is above the value 0 which in fact means that you could care less as this is higher than 0 and therefore you can care the difference between 0 and the value that you currently feel.

This has been mis-interpreted, please watch it again, I know he speaks fast and pausing and re-runs may be necessary but the very first thing he says gives a clue, "I don't want to be rude but why do Americans say I could care less"
Old 25-02-2009, 08:28   #7
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

the one that gets on my nerves is ' should of or should off' instead of should have.

"I should of been at work 10 minutes ago"
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 09:30   #8
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup dragon View Post
the one that gets on my nerves is ' should of or should off' instead of should have.

That one gets me to. I mean.. too.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

And of course, let's not forget the infamous double negative; popular amongst Britain's finest..

"I didn't do nothing officer".
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 10:11   #9
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup dragon View Post

Misheard version of "should've" IMO.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 10:18   #10
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I must be getting old - I knew all of the correct versions.....
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 16:01   #11
wigro
Inactive

wigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these partswigro is just so famous around these parts

My mate used to say,,,,a sprout to catch a mackerel,,,, instead of sprat .

Did my head in grrrrrrrr
wigro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 16:15   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I get 3,4,5 and 9 correct - 1,2,6,7 and 8 wrong - and have not heard of 10.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 16:26   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well I'm a literary genius then..I knew every one of those and I can say hand on heart I've never heard ANYONE misquote them apart from the glisters one...I knew that one particularly because I studied it for GCE.
Old 25-02-2009, 17:01   #14
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

I`ll happily admit i dont spoke the best English but the only one of those i misquoted was 7.
I`d normally say "all that glistens is not gold"
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 19:32   #15
mischievious
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirpingalot View Post
"I didn't do nothing officer".
Surely you were going for "nuffink"

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well I'm a literary genius then..I knew every one of those and I can say hand on heart I've never heard ANYONE misquote them apart from the glisters one...I knew that one particularly because I studied it for GCE.
Genius like that also seems to have the ability to be absorbed by those around you