Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What could be causing these results?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What could be causing these results?

Old 22-02-2009, 20:33   #1
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute
What could be causing these results?

had my services reinstalled a few weeks ago now, and not had much chance to check them.

anyways over the weekend i though i'd just see what speed i'm getting, at my last house at this time of night the speed was pokey - lucky if i got 10meg.

so did a test (pinch of salt needed) and this was the result

i know it's 20meg as the u/l is pants. what could be causing this? the cache is clear and it does the same with the cf test, and there is nothing else that i can think of (nothing to do with the vm router at all is it?).

the best bit is cf test, on my lappy it says that the speed is infinate - if only.

Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2009, 21:01   #2
Jonathan90
Inactive

Jonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really nice
Re: What could be causing these results?

Kaspersky by any chance?
Jonathan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 21:09   #3
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan90 View Post
Kaspersky by any chance?
on the pc yes turned it off and got a speed of 104mbps, on the lappy no.

just wondering how the wireless lappy would show as infinite - how could infinite be quantified?
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 21:42   #4
graf_von_anonym
Inactive

Services: BB:NTL XL, TV:L
graf_von_anonym is a splendid one to beholdgraf_von_anonym is a splendid one to beholdgraf_von_anonym is a splendid one to beholdgraf_von_anonym is a splendid one to beholdgraf_von_anonym is a splendid one to beholdgraf_von_anonym is a splendid one to beholdgraf_von_anonym is a splendid one to beholdgraf_von_anonym is a splendid one to beholdgraf_von_anonym is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down the Pub View Post
just wondering how the wireless lappy would show as infinite - how could infinite be quantified?
If, and this is just a SWAG, the file were located in the cache, and it found it before it attempted to download it (as it might, given the vagaries of OSes) it would have established that it downloaded it in no time. Dividing by zero tends to get one of three responses, either a thrown exception, NaN, or infinity. Technically none of them are correct, except that they are all also right answers.

I now suggest you imagine me saying the following in a spooky voice while waving my hands in a mystical way:

"Such are the mysteries of infinity..."
graf_von_anonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 18:53   #5
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Try www.speed.io