Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help with a presentation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help with a presentation

Old 19-02-2009, 17:43   #1
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Help with a presentation

Hi Guys and Gals,

As you may know, I've got a 2nd interview tomorrow, and I found out earlier that I need to do a presentation (only about 5 minutes). The theme of the presentation is "Life of a tin of tuna in the last 10 years"...

Unfortunately, having racked what remains of my brains for the last several hours, I've completely come up a blank - has anyone got any suggestions?

TIA
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2009, 17:48   #2
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Re: Help with a presentation

Not sure what job you are going for but I would put a funny slant on the presentation, something along lines of the tin of tuna sat in the cupboard / store room / corner of warehouse for 10 yrs and the things it sees whilst it's in there.
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 17:56   #3
lucy7
Inactive

lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age

I hate stuff like that!

Nearly as bad as what animal would you be and why?!

I think the above poster has got one hell of a good idea though, seeing life though the tin, that could be in a number of situations.....

On the shelf with all the other tins, always pushed to the back, the last left on the shelf, but still never chosen!

Relate it to seeking a job even, if you dare!

All the best for tomorrow, you gonna let us know what you do????

Lucy.
lucy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 18:11   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

You could always say you misheard them and do a biographical presentation:
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 18:15   #5
Nugget
Inactive

Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
You could always say you misheard them and do a biographical presentation:
Well, she has got fishlips, I s'pose
Old 19-02-2009, 18:21   #6
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Well, she has got fishlips, I s'pose
You must be able to see further down the pic than I can then, or you are real real good friends.
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 18:43   #7
Nugget
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
You must be able to see further down the pic than I can then, or you are real real good friends.
There's an image that really isn't helping with this bloody presentation...
Old 19-02-2009, 18:55   #8
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

You work for food standards don't you? Maybe do a diary-style presentation charting your life from the day you were caught and the day you were eaten with emphasis on safe food preparation. Although you can eat tuna raw can't you?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 19:00   #9
Nugget
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
You work for food standards don't you? Maybe do a diary-style presentation charting your life from the day you were caught and the day you were eaten with emphasis on safe food preparation. Although you can eat tuna raw can't you?
That's actually the lines I was working along

Oh, and yes, you can eat tuna raw, but I wouldn't 'cos it's rank
Old 19-02-2009, 19:05   #10
lucy7
Inactive

lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post

Now then.......thats just darn naughty!!!
lucy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 19:16   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Just in case the 10 years was a part of a trick question, googling "shelf life" and "canned tuna" give you this.

Canned tuna is one of the most shelf-stable food products available, and can be safely stored in a pantry for several years. The shelf-life of canned tuna is generally "advertised" as three (3) years. However, if properly stored in a dry pantry, the actual shelf-life of canned tuna can be as long as 10 years, provided that the integrity of the can has not been compromised due to damage or corrosion. Canned tuna can be refrigerated for up to three (3) days after opening without spoiling

or, if you want to baffle/dazzle them, try this - CHANGES OF OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID CONTENT AND LIPID COMPOSITION IN CANNED TUNA DURING 12-MONTH STORAGE

The effect of storage time on the concentration and lipid and fatty acid compositions of canned tuna in brine was studied. Lipid and fatty acid were analyzed during 0, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months of storage at room temperature. Concentrations of lipids and total saturated fatty acids were significantly increased after storage for 9 months. The concentrations of total polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), total n-3 and n-6 PUFA were significantly stepwise decreased with increased storage time (P < 0.05); 22:6n-3 and 22:5n-3 started to decrease significantly at 6 months, and 20:5n-3 and 20:4n-6 decreased at 3 months (P < 0.05). The n-3/n-6 ratio significantly decreased from 3.8 at 0 month to 3.2 at 9 months (P < 0.05). Cholesterol ester was significantly increased while the other four classes of lipids, namely, phospholipids, triacylglycerols, free fatty acids and sterols, showed an opposite trend during 12 months of storage. Lipid oxidation measured by peroxide value and thiobarbituric acid value showed gradual increases with storage time. Thus, canned tuna in brine should not be stored more than 6 months with consideration of the stability of n-3 fatty acids.

btw, if you are using powerpoint, after the introductory slides (name, presentation), the general guidelines are
usually 1 slide per minute,
don't put on the powerpoint what you are saying (the powerpoint should illustrate your speaking part of the presentation, not repeat it), so graphics rather than words
at the end - Any questions (and prepare for them)

I was alway taught the basic rule of a presentation was
Tell them what you are going to tell them (intro)
Tell them
Tell them what you told them (summary)

hth
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 19:25   #12
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
That's actually the lines I was working along

Oh, and yes, you can eat tuna raw, but I wouldn't 'cos it's rank
Great minds and all that.

A buzz topic atm is about mercury in seafood and the danger to pregnant women/baby, so maybe put that in there somewhere.

3:00pm "With the amount of mercury around here, I hope I don't get eaten by a pregnant woman and harm her baby. That would suck".
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 20:14   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

You might need to add the old dolphin friendly angle to that tin of tuna too and the different sorts of canned tuna..in brine,olive oil,sunflower oil,springwater etc..

Something about the attitude of the public to canned tuna in those ten years and how it's changed.
Old 19-02-2009, 21:34   #14
Nugget
Inactive

Thanks for your help guys - I've currently written nearly 700 words, and have just got my summary to do. If I can slow my speech down (I do have a Brummys tendency to babble), that should cover my 5 minutes
Old 19-02-2009, 21:45   #15
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

I suppose this is a bit late now, but if it was me I'd turn it around, and imagine a tin of tuna that had been sitting on the shelf for 10 years watching the customers of the supermarket. You could then talk about what the tin has seen; the way shoppers' behaviour has changed over the last 10 years. If there's some food standards issue that relates to changes in shoppers behaviour you could use that to bring the presentation back to some 'food standards shop talk'.

Risky, but you'll stand out among 5 other people showing powerpoint slides with graphs of typical salt levels.

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

PS 5 minutes is not long at all - make sure you time yourself in the practice run
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote