Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does this coax socket mean I'm cabled up?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Does this coax socket mean I'm cabled up?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:37   #1
Pookie
Inactive

Pookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Does this coax socket mean I'm cabled up?

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help - I'm new to this forum.

I'm already with Virgin but I only have an ADSL connection. I called them up wanting to upgrade to cable broadband but they didn't have my address in their list - they had every single other flat, but not mine. So it was a no.

I did a bit of snooping and found what looks like a cable socket in my living room, but it's right where I would expect a TV cable socket to be. Does this mean that the wiring does exist for cable broadband too, or are the two completely different?

After explaining this to about 4 different people at Virgin, the furthest I could get was to an answerphone... They asked me to leave my details and they said that they would get back to me when the service was available in my area. They didn't even offer to come and have a look at my set up.

What do you think?
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2009, 12:43   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Does this coax socket mean I'm cabled up?

You need to check outside the house for either a grey/brown cable box attached to the outside wall with a cable going into and out of it..

But what that looks like is a possible distribution socket for a normal TV antenna.. Cable these days has a small white box with an F socket (like what you see on the back of a sat receiver...)

But again VM is an amalgamation of lots of older companies and each one did it differently
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:44   #3
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

There's plenty of experts on here, but that just looks like a standard co-ax socket to me. The VM socket will normally be a branded (which brand depends on the age of the install) box on the wall.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:59   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I'd say that looks like a normal aerial socket. Possibly one for youre Tv and one for your radio.

As others have said you need to trace it back and see where the wire goes.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 14:57   #5
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road

Looks like the normal socket coming from a roof aerial to me.
try plugging a small tv into it using an aerial lead.

would have been handy to have some cable sockets already in place though,
i dunno if they would charge the installation or not if it had of been?
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote