Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | XBOX Live / HALO 3.. Serious LAG on Virgin BroadBand

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

XBOX Live / HALO 3.. Serious LAG on Virgin BroadBand

Old 27-01-2009, 21:21   #1
Davey
Inactive

Davey is an unknown quantity at this point
XBOX Live / HALO 3.. Serious LAG on Virgin BroadBand

For the last two weeks most XBOX live games have been unplayable.. I've been on the phone to virgin who say everything is fine but my speed keeps dropping to less than 1mb! They say I should upgrade to 10mb and that will fix the problem... Well I dont really think that is a fair statement as it never lagged before the begining of last week

Does anyone else have a problem with XBOX live and VBB?

I can be in the middle of a game of Halo3 for example and then suddenly it starts lagging like hell!
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-01-2009, 13:36   #2
tomjleeds
Inactive

Services: VIP/Triple XL
tomjleeds is on a distinguished roadtomjleeds is on a distinguished road
Re: XBOX Live / HALO 3.. Serious LAG on Virgin BroadBand

Upgrading won't help, the problem is most likely an overloaded UBR. Have the exact same problems here, though there have only been a few occasions where it's been completely unplayable (yes, I partake in a spot of Halo from time to time). Low speeds don't tend to be the issue, it's once you start getting unreliable pings and packet loss that it all gets messed up.
tomjleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 13:44   #3
Davey
Inactive

A fellow Halo addict lol..

Last night they 're-added' my modem to the network and for 15 minutes it was perfect (1.9meg) and a clean connection but it quickly dropped back down to less than 1meg and became un-usable.

Its doing my head in

If the network is over-subscribed I suppose I'm doomed
Old 28-01-2009, 14:08   #4
dafry
Inactive

dafry is an unknown quantity at this point

if you get a chance guys have a look on here

http://forums.xbox.com/25193791/ShowPost.aspx

all is explained in the first post, it wont help fix your problem instantly but could help in the long run
dafry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 14:16   #5
Davey
Inactive

Posted
Old 28-01-2009, 15:15   #6
dafry
Inactive

nice one davey...

i have responded over there and dont want to untidy this forum so keep an eye on that thread
Old 28-01-2009, 22:31   #7
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

Quote from the xbox forum link quoted above.

Quote:
so i plugged the 20 meg back in and had the usual problems, which are that i simply cannot host a room of more than 6 people on vegas2 without serious amounts of lag for everyone in the room..
You want a lot from your 768 kb/s upload speed (which will probably be around 90 KB/s with overheads). Unsure what network server settings are available in game to limit client side connections, but my bet is around 15KB/s or so for each player connecting which in your case 6, 6x15=90 opps no more available upload left to play with, LAG.
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:45   #8
dafry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggo View Post
Quote from the xbox forum link quoted above.

You want a lot from your 768 kb/s upload speed (which will probably be around 90 KB/s with overheads). Unsure what network server settings are available in game to limit client side connections, but my bet is around 15KB/s or so for each player connecting which in your case 6, 6x15=90 opps no more available upload left to play with, LAG.

if only it was as simple as that ...i know people with half the upload speed that i have that can host 16 people on the same game with np's

gaming has/is and probably allways be a nightmare..but this problem goes a little bit deeper than the usual upload / ping / modem etc etc issues that are normally the case.

believe me if you read the whole thing we have tested nigh on everything. and when i went to the virgin hub (the place with all the servers, think its called a hub lol) i managed to host a room of 10 on a 2 meg connection!!

dont mean to poo poo what you are saying at all.
Old 30-01-2009, 19:09   #9
Davey
Inactive

Well I've 'upgraded' to 10meg as suggested by Virgin and its still a lag fest! NOT HAPPY! Its got to be massive packet loss issues!
Old 31-01-2009, 08:11   #10
dafry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Well I've 'upgraded' to 10meg as suggested by Virgin and its still a lag fest! NOT HAPPY! Its got to be massive packet loss issues!
i bet

davey can you please post this on the xbox thread, i cant seem to find your original post on there?

as i believe i said i didnt think it'd matter what speed you went to for some reason the problem would be the same, if i were you i would downgrade and keep an eye on that thread
Old 31-01-2009, 19:00   #11
Davey
Inactive

My new 10meg line is AMAZING:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...9642&v=6154718

NOT!
Old 01-02-2009, 00:02   #12
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggo View Post
You want a lot from your 768 kb/s upload speed (which will probably be around 90 KB/s with overheads).
Ha, try more like 50k.

The problem is down to the way VM does queuing to limit your speed. Anything over about 50k/sec and your latency is going to start rocketing. A router with advanced traffic shaping can help somewhat, but even then you will only get another 10k more.

That is all assuming your UBR is no overloaded, of course. It sounds like the OP's is, so he is basically stuffed until VM decide to upgrade it.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 00:07   #13
Stabhappy
Inactive

Services: XXL BB + M Phone
Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Stabhappy

Proper QOS will help massively, being able to saturate the upload and simultaniously maintain low pings.
Stabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 14:46   #14
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook1984 View Post
Ha, try more like 50k.

The problem is down to the way VM does queuing to limit your speed. Anything over about 50k/sec and your latency is going to start rocketing. A router with advanced traffic shaping can help somewhat, but even then you will only get another 10k more.

That is all assuming your UBR is no overloaded, of course. It sounds like the OP's is, so he is basically stuffed until VM decide to upgrade it.
So it's even less upload bandwidth than I thought .

and yep, time to get high TX load confirmed by newsgroup support and speak to CS and get a reduction in price.
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 18:41   #15
sparxy1968
Inactive

sparxy1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Davey

Where abouts are you in Berkshire? I am having HUGE issues with my BB service in the Bracknell area at the moment and have invested a lot of time and effort speaking to Tech Support, CS and more to resolve the matter.

Essentially I have discovered the following...

The UBR I am on (don't have the name handy but I think it's one in Winnersh Traingle near reading) has been confirmed as over subscribed. An engineer I spoke to also confirmed that he could see that it was over subscribed by about 140%. He also searched for any plans for a new UBR and could not find any in his database. This means he could not resolve my problem, end of discussion.

To give you an example of what I have been suffering.

I had a 20 meg line and would nightly test this. I found that commonly I was receiving about 1.5 megs but this would regularily drop to 500k. This has been happening since September 2008. I also have packet loss in the region of 10 - 25% at the worst times.

I have complained several times by phone and was told to submit a complaint online. When I did I received an email asking me to write to them.

It looks to me as if they are holding back on a new UBR for 20meg and under services while they focus on the 50meg fibre services which frankly sucks.

Let me know if this all sounds horribly familiar.....
sparxy1968 is offline   Reply With Quote