Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is application management being trialed on some 50mbit connnections?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is application management being trialed on some 50mbit connnections?

Old 27-01-2009, 11:27   #1
|Kippa|
Inactive

|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them

If so, what applications are being managed? Ftp? Sftp? Newsgroups? Bittorent? General encrypted connections ?And what is not being application managed?
|Kippa| is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2009, 11:33   #2
MagicMan
Inactive

MagicMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is application management being trialed on some 50mbit connnections?

From what I've seen over the past few days on my business connection, I would say that its being trialled on 10Mb aswell. My newsgroup speeds have been atrocious to say the least. Running at full 1Mb for 5 minutes then for 60KB/s until I disconnect and then reconnect to the news server then back up again for 5 minutes.

I havent really tried many other protocols but I'm going to do some big downloading from the Microsoft web site later (trial versions) and then grab Ubuntu from their site and see if my speed dies again.
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 12:44   #3
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Please see below:

Quote:
The Allots are only used on the DSL service. As technical support
have stated, there are no traffic shaping technologies being trialled.

Alex

-- Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Internet Products, Virgin Media
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 12:48   #4
zing_deleted

do you believe them? or do they not really need to trial it now as they already know how it works and just need to switch it on lol
Old 27-01-2009, 13:28   #5
MagicMan
Inactive

MagicMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm yes interesting wording. "No traffic shaping technologies being trialled" is that because they are being used?
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 14:03   #6
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, all that statement says is that application throttling is no longer in trials. It doesn't say if it has been on trial and is now out of trials and in a roll-out phase. Perhaps he could issue a statement to that end too?

Im sorry if this sounds paranoid, but corporate entities are known for their legal double-speak in that manner (same as politicians really :p)
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 14:12   #7
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
do you believe them? or do they not really need to trial it now as they already know how it works and just need to switch it on lol
They might already know how it works by trialing it on a certain few people during 50mb trialing, but they also have to trial it in 1 full residential area do they not? or are network impact assesments to hard for vm to think about.
Bonglet is offline   Reply With Quote