Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Cable TV - Analogue to Digital Upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM Cable TV - Analogue to Digital Upgrade

Old 05-01-2009, 13:44   #1
DreamOfSpring
Inactive

DreamOfSpring is an unknown quantity at this point
Question VM Cable TV - Analogue to Digital Upgrade

My ancient Mum needs switching soon as South Wales is changing this year (VM Area 25). She is still using a Jerrold Impulse. She is on phone and TV only. As I've volunteered to organise this for her, and I live 180 miles away, I'd appreciate a little bit of advice in advance. I'll be booking VM to come mid Feb so that I can be with her when they do the installation.

First, she only has the TV - no VCR or DVD or Freeview. I cannot recall if she has a scart socket on her TV or not. But if it does NOT have a scart socket, can the upgrade go ahead?

Secondly, will they need to run new cables, or can they use the old ones?

Finally, as Mum is registered blind, I'd love to know exactly which remote control she will be getting so that I can source a compatible big button one in advance for her.

Many thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Lin

Was NTL, originally C&W = Bromley??
Postcode - SA13
Current STB - Jerrold Impulse
DreamOfSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2009, 14:12   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM Cable TV - Analogue to Digital Upgrade

Everything should be fine as the STBs have an RF (i.e aerial) output.

They will use the existing cables.

As for the remote any Universal Remote will work as the STBs use standard signalling codes

But the remote is this one

Old 05-01-2009, 14:25   #3
DreamOfSpring
Inactive

DreamOfSpring is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya BenMcr,

Many thanks for the reply.. much appreciated.. especially the bit about the signalling codes being standard.

Ta from Mum as well
Lin
DreamOfSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 14:25   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Ben, are you sure about the first statement?

The RF bypass was only an option on the Samsung STB and it no longer works ( as part of the analogue switch off ) - see Spiderplant's post. (third para)

So, as far as I'm aware, Scart WILL be the only option.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 14:41   #5
Ernie_C

Services: Virgin Media Broadband M, TV XL, V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
The RF bypass......
My knowledge may be lacking but isn't an RF bypass different from an RF out?

The former allows an analogue signal which is still being transmitted to go through the box and be received by a TV.

The latter transmits the digital channels so they can be received by a TV connected the old-fashioned way.
Old 05-01-2009, 15:25   #6
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

You're probably right. thinking about it .
So the OP's mother could watch the STB channel via an RF signal but the TV would only see 'one TV station', being the RF channel used by the STB.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 18:07   #7
Ernie_C

Services: Virgin Media Broadband M, TV XL, V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
You're probably right. thinking about it .
So the OP's mother could watch the STB channel via an RF signal but the TV would only see 'one TV station', being the RF channel used by the STB.
It is the box she exclusively is connected to - the belief is she has no SCART.
Old 05-01-2009, 20:52   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It's definitely not a problem if the TV doesn't have SCART. The RF output will still work after analogue switch-off.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 16:41   #9
PS1
Inactive

Services: FIRE,AMBULANCE AND POLICE
PS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: VM Cable TV - Analogue to Digital Upgrade

if this is the case(no scart), check before hand that either the t.v. can be tuned in on the set itself or via the remote, in which case make sure its present, as the output frequency of the digital stb could be different to the analogue one and therefor tv will need retuning
PS1 is offline   Reply With Quote