Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 10MBIT should not be this slow right?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

10MBIT should not be this slow right?

Old 12-12-2008, 14:24   #1
dav_boro
Inactive

dav_boro can only hope to improve
10MBIT should not be this slow right?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/371618084.png

does any1 else in middlesbrough or surround area have similar problem? has always been fine till last few days, be lucky if i can hit 200kbs
dav_boro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2008, 14:27   #2
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: 10MBIT should not be this slow right?

Try the speed test at the top of this page.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 14:39   #3
xocemp

Better still download two instances of this file:
http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/100MB_nonzero.bin

Or this file:
http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blu...h/ifhsetup.exe

To better help you, could you post your power levels & SNR from your modems configuration page. You can access it by entering 192.168.100.1 into your address bar.
User name & password is root should you be asked for them.
Could you also post the results of a ping & tracert to the bbc please.
Start>Run>type in cmd and click ok.
Type ping bbc.co.uk
Once thats finished
Type tracert bbc.co.uk
Old 12-12-2008, 14:40   #4
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

According to the VM webby here: http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/...?ticket=864011
TS3 teeside is having a few problems today, unsure if it's an on going problem though.
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 14:48   #5
dav_boro
Inactive

hmm yeah, i always use the zen test files, tested just now is getting between as 30-90 kbs on it now :S

Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.17 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.51 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 48.00 dBmv

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=118
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=118
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=118
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=118

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.138:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 18ms

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
3 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms midd-t2cam1-a-ge914.network.virginmedia.net [213
.106.239.149]
4 * 6 ms 7 ms midd-t3core-1a-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [19
5.182.176.101]
5 20 ms 9 ms 29 ms lee-bb-a-so-130-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.1
05.75.45]
6 12 ms 12 ms * nth-bb-b-as2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.1
85.101]
7 * 14 ms 15 ms tele-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
184.2]
8 16 ms * 71 ms pos6-1.rt0.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.237]
9 13 ms * 20 ms 212.58.238.129
10 58 ms 29 ms 13 ms virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

Trace complete.
Old 12-12-2008, 15:08   #6
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Signals and ping is fine have you rung VM yet and see whats up most likely congestion unless Teeside has issues give em a call
Old 12-12-2008, 15:48   #7
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice

By looking at your power levels, you either have an Ambit 100 or 120, these can struggle with 10meg sometimes, so I should also ring up about getting a replacement modem.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 15:02   #8
dav_boro
Inactive

spoke with the monkeys on tech support and they say stupid things like reboot my pc, waiting on new modem now, is strange cause after say 1am i can hit full speed on connection but as low as 50kbs during day atm
Old 14-12-2008, 15:05   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_boro View Post
spoke with the monkeys on tech support and they say stupid things like reboot my pc, waiting on new modem now, is strange cause after say 1am i can hit full speed on connection but as low as 50kbs during day atm
Some of those "monkeys" frequent this forum, and may be willing to try and help, but probably not if that phraseology is used.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 15:12   #10
dav_boro
Inactive

lol, well whoever i spoke to just kept saying have u tried rebooting the modem like 10 times, and wasnt interested
Old 14-12-2008, 15:27   #11
homealone

Quote:
lol, well whoever i spoke to just kept saying have u tried rebooting the modem like 10 times, and wasnt interested
Based on your previous post I imagine you are exploring the concept of 'you get back what you put in'.

If you were as rude to the agents on the phone as you have been to them on this forum I don't blame anyone for not being interested
Old 14-12-2008, 15:48   #12
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

There have been loads of posts like this over the past few months. It seems to be coinciding with the upgrade to 50Mb. If it is the upgrade then expect these speeds for a good few weeks and don't expect any apology or discount. You'll need to ring up and pester for a discount. Amazing customer service eh?
caph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 15:50   #13
dav_boro
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
Based on your previous post I imagine you are exploring the concept of 'you get back what you put in'.

If you were as rude to the agents on the phone as you have been to them on this forum I don't blame anyone for not being interested
you clearly dont have a clue what your talking about, i dont recall being rude to anyone on this forum so where are you reading that?.
Old 14-12-2008, 16:12   #14
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Quote:
you clearly dont have a clue what your talking about, i dont recall being rude to anyone on this forum so where are you reading that?.
I think he's referring to this:

Quote:
spoke with the monkeys on tech support and they say stupid things like reboot my pc
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 16:13   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Perhaps the term "monkeys" in reference to tech support might have given him some idea....

Please remember that the people most likely to help you on this forum might actually work for VM and calling them names to start off with won't be helpful...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote