Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which router?

Old 07-12-2008, 12:24   #1
kingabs
Inactive

kingabs is an unknown quantity at this point
Which router?

Ok my wrt54gs i think is on its way out as in dead.
I have seen over at PC world their web exclusive prices and they have some good prices on the netgear routers question is which one to go for with good wireless coverge?

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

would this one be ok http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=
kingabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2008, 14:07   #2
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Which router?

I've got to get a router so I can hook up the new PS3 and I started looking at the Netgear wnr2000, then when away from it.

If you want to stick with Netgear, I would go with either 3300 http://www.netgear.co.uk/wndr3300.php or if the budget will allow it the 3500 http://www.netgear.co.uk/wnr3500.php
as both Dual Band better coverage.

With what little investigation I've done, I'm leaning towards a router with StreamEngine (http://streamengine.ubicom.com/) to do the stream handling. As it's meant to be very good, but I haven't made my mind up yet which Make / Model to go for.
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 16:13   #3
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Get a Linksys Linksys WRT54GL.

You can then flash with open source firmware

Brilliant piece of kit.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 16:46   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Another vote for the linksys 54GL. I've been using mine for a week now it's been faultless.

If you're interested in buying on the net try Overclockers UK I can really recommend them as a supplier.
Old 15-01-2009, 22:33   #5
Jimbo76
Inactive

Jimbo76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the WNR2000 and had no probs with it, set up was easy and no drop outs with it unlike the belkin N1 I had.

I did look at getting the Netgear dual band but pc world had none in stock, if they did I would of got it for sure
Jimbo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 23:11   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

i vote for the wrt54g as well, been using it fo the last couple of years and it has been great. I always say you should stick with what you know and if you like Linksys stick with them.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 01:07   #7
Toilet-Duck
cf.addict

Services: VirginMedia 20MB
Toilet-Duck will become famous soon enoughToilet-Duck will become famous soon enoughToilet-Duck will become famous soon enough

DIR-655 very stable router, have only needed to restart it once since I bought it when I updated firmware.

Great for gaming too very stable and low ping.

It also blocks out ads and spyware before it reaches your computer, no software needed

System Up Time : 399 Days, 2:48:34
Toilet-Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 14:07   #8
xtopher
Inactive

xtopher is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Which router?

I'm with Toilet-Duck. Have had the D-Link DIR635 model which is nDraft, has 3 sticks, and has been running faultlessly since October. I believe it has a 10 year warranty. Good support if you need it and internal setup software. I have it installed surrounded by TV, Vid, DVD fone etc with no probs. Streams TV and music effortlessly.
xtopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 14:14   #9
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

Kingabs,

As it been over a month since your original post have you sorted one out yet. If you have, what did you get and is it working ok.
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 15:47   #10
jamscones
Inactive

jamscones is an unknown quantity at this point

Second the recommendation of the D-Link DIR635. Have been using it for a few months, and it's rock solid. The config pages are well laid out and have a lot of useful features e.g. easily reserve IP addresses for devices based on MAC address - this is great for ensuring that port forwarding always applies to the correct IP and device. Xbox 360 works great through it.
jamscones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 19:23   #11
LaineY
Inactive

Services: <V+ - XLTV - XLTelco - 20MB>
LaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the rough

WRT54GS .. has ran like a sweety for 4-5 years Rapid
LaineY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 20:02   #12
AppleSauce
Inactive

AppleSauce is an unknown quantity at this point

Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware.
AppleSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 20:04   #13
upbeat
Inactive

Services: XL BB/Phone and TV with V+
upbeat is an unknown quantity at this point

Got a vigor 2820 here... performance has been fautless and its good for 50meg. Lots of features including QOS and 3G modem port. Takes a bit of getting used to, but there's virtually nothing you can't configure on it. Its only drawback is the price.
upbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 20:32   #14
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggo View Post
With what little investigation I've done, I'm leaning towards a router with StreamEngine (http://streamengine.ubicom.com/) to do the stream handling. As it's meant to be very good, but I haven't made my mind up yet which Make / Model to go for.
Sounds like you may be being duped by BS there. Just get a router with QOS and then it's up to you what priority you assign to which protocols. At the end of the day you've only got so much bandwidth and everything apart from VOIP can wait in line with everything else, it's not worth worrying about. StreamEngine won't be able to tell if I'm downloading my XBox Live movie to watch later or watch now as it streams, so it's an impossible task really. If you think about it how many apps do you have that will hammer downstream simultaneously? Limiting your torrent download speed is probably as far as most people will ever need to go.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by upbeat View Post
Got a vigor 2820 here... performance has been fautless and its good for 50meg. Lots of features including QOS and 3G modem port. Takes a bit of getting used to, but there's virtually nothing you can't configure on it. Its only drawback is the price.
You get what you pay for. Most people will not fork out for a Draytek. I did though and it's been faultless.
caph is offline   Reply With Quote