Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving Home

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moving Home

Old 08-09-2008, 21:18   #1
ze0n
Inactive

Services: Virgin 4MB Broadband (ntl:250 modem) & Sky+ TV & TalkTalk Talk3 Phone & 4 Virgin PAYG Phones
ze0n is on a distinguished roadze0n is on a distinguished road
Moving Home

Hey,

Not quite sure if this is the correct section but;

I'm possibly moving soon and the house I'm looking at is non-cable. Now 3 houses on the street are non cable and the rest are cable. Why is this? I called VM and they said they don't know and cant do anything
ze0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2008, 22:05   #2
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers
Re: Moving Home

Are the non-cable houses the same age as the cabled houses? If so, the only reason I can think for not cabling them would be that there was an obstruction of some kind on the day they laid the cable.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:34   #3
kingabs
Inactive

kingabs is an unknown quantity at this point

or nynex being lazzy.
kingabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00   #4
smeagoly1
Inactive

Services: Bugger all now apart from 8meg ADSL and only 2 meg at best!!!! I want my 20meg cable back!
smeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nice

I moved from cable to a non cable new build in feb. All the older hosue in teh area are cabled up, but as far as i am aware, there are no plans to cable up some new builds, especially the oen i am in, which is just over a year old. It's a shame as it would take very little to install for a new build area, especially since the cable boxes run straight down the otherside of the street.
If it's an older property, I can't realy say why it's not cabled up, maybe due to impracticalities at the time, i.e blocks of flats. It might also be not cost efective for a firm to install in certain locals, so they don't bother.

It might be worth calling VM again and sugesting they send a spotter out? if that is the right word. As if the cable boxes are in thestreet and on your side, it should just be a simple matter to install. It's all they done when i first had cable installed.
smeagoly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30   #5
Gooch
Inactive

Gooch is on a distinguished roadGooch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze0n View Post
Hey,

Not quite sure if this is the correct section but;

I'm possibly moving soon and the house I'm looking at is non-cable. Now 3 houses on the street are non cable and the rest are cable. Why is this? I called VM and they said they don't know and cant do anything
My neighbour has the same problem. He is sandwiched between me and another house. Both myself and 2 doors down can get cable but he can't. Weird!
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:07   #6
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

We just moved house ourselves last weekend and while we can have all our cable services transferred ok we still have to wait till the 13th before they actually come and do it.

Still.....i dont actually miss the TV(still got the freeview everywhere) and i certainly dont miss the girls all squabbling for that landline
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55   #7
LaineY
Inactive

Services: <V+ - XLTV - XLTelco - 20MB>
LaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the rough

Ze0n its probably one of them things that cant be explained.

i have heard of people getting their neighbours to sign a petiton or basically a letter to send to Virgin to try and make a point to VM that putting houses onto there services could be worth while as all the neighbours want it ETC..

I have never heard of anyone being successful with it.

But theres not really much you can do about it.. rather than phoning them and asking them for the relevant department you can speak to with regards to getting VM Services @ a new housing scheme or an area where you have a Virgin Media Box at the end of your street. Theres certain rules and regulations they need to follow for that like contractors / Council rules / Planning permission / Building planning permission (Landlords ETC)
LaineY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 19:39   #8
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
We just moved house ourselves last weekend and while we can have all our cable services transferred ok we still have to wait till the 13th before they actually come and do it.

Still.....i dont actually miss the TV(still got the freeview everywhere) and i certainly dont miss the girls all squabbling for that landline
Did you have email with Virgin at your old house? because if you did and you have not requested a Move and Transfer then it will not transfer to your new property.