Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recieved new modem, Require Coaxial cable please help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recieved new modem, Require Coaxial cable please help!

Old 27-08-2008, 17:43   #1
krato871
Inactive

krato871 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Recieved new modem, Require Coaxial cable please help!

I've just recently called VM and asked for a replacement STB because the internet speed has now upgraded and the internet goes through our STB which doesn't support the new speed, so they said they would send us a modem. It came without a Coaxial cable, VM said they don't supply them and I need to buy one myself.

If I bought one and connect it to the modem, and the other end to the splitter (where the STB is currently connected) and call VM to register the mac address should everything work fine? I didn't understand a word of what they said as Virgin Media's "Broadband Support" is as incompetent as they come, they thought I was talking about the ethernet cable >.<

Also would this 1.5 meter Coaxial cable do the job:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...BM89W&doy=27m8

thankies!
krato871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2008, 17:53   #2
SteevieNiteHeat
Permanently Banned

SteevieNiteHeat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Recieved new modem, Require Coaxial cable please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krato871 View Post
I've just recently called VM and asked for a replacement STB because the internet speed has now upgraded and the internet goes through our STB which doesn't support the new speed, so they said they would send us a modem. It came without a Coaxial cable, VM said they don't supply them and I need to buy one myself.

If I bought one and connect it to the modem, and the other end to the splitter (where the STB is currently connected) and call VM to register the mac address should everything work fine? I didn't understand a word of what they said as Virgin Media's "Broadband Support" is as incompetent as they come, they thought I was talking about the ethernet cable >.<

Also would this 1.5 meter Coaxial cable do the job:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...BM89W&doy=27m8

thankies!
Hi and welcome!

I am affraid that you have been lied to!

vm should have known (common sence should have prevailed) that you would need a length of coax actually shouldn't they have sent out a quickstart pack for you with all bits included?

If I was you I would call up virgin media and explain your predicament and suggest that they get a length of coax and a splitter box out to you asap!

It would also help if you could roughtly estimate how long you need this lead to be as then they could even put the plug ends on for you!

I'm sure there will be more people come along soon to offer more help than me, but I think it would be best to call them up again to state your case!
SteevieNiteHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 17:56   #3
krato871
Inactive

Oh god, I don't fancy calling them again! They forwarded me onto about 5 people because they didn't know what a Coaxial cable was!!! and they started getting angry with me because I said I already had an Ethernet... it was awful, if it works I would rather just buy my own cable than talk to them again! I think I already have a splitter it looks similar to this one:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/isolator.jpg

But only has one Coaxial connecting the STB!
Old 27-08-2008, 18:01   #4
Help!!!
Inactive

Help!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of lightHelp!!! is a glorious beacon of light

Try wilkos mate, its 25p a metre, much better value for money then maplins, all you need then is a few connectors, then can be found at maplins,
Help!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 18:02   #5
SteevieNiteHeat
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krato871 View Post
Oh god, I don't fancy calling them again! They forwarded me onto about 5 people because they didn't know what a Coaxial cable was!!! and they started getting angry with me because I said I already had an Ethernet... it was awful, if it works I would rather just buy my own cable than talk to them again! I think I already have a splitter it looks similar to this one:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/isolator.jpg

But only has one Coaxial connecting the STB!
you will also need a splitter box, 1 that connects to the main feed lead (the lead that is plugged into the TV part in your latest pic) and then this would have normally 3 outputs, so 1 lead will connect to your STB, and the other to your new modem!

It is always a bit risky to add cabling yourself, as it could throw the signal levels, which could not only cause problems for your services, but your neighbours' services too!

I really wish I was more knowledgable on these matters so I could help you more, but the only thing I could suggest is as I said before, call up bm again (dunno if there is a number for quickstart?) or call 151 as there IS a problem (vm related would you believe it!) and explain that when your modem was sent it didnt include a lenght of coax or a splitter box so you cannot use your new modem!

Sorry once again, I really wish I had the right answers
Old 27-08-2008, 18:05   #6
krato871
Inactive

Is there anyway to get through to english support? I would rather do that as I find it so difficult to talk due to the language barriers they're always telling me the wrong things =[
Old 27-08-2008, 18:06   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

They've sent a fault/speed issue modem (which assumes all cables are in place) rather than following the STB to Modem swap process (which sents a full install pack with cables, spanner, splitter etc)

Phone customer services on 150 option 4 and get them to re-do the order
Old 27-08-2008, 18:10   #8
SteevieNiteHeat
Permanently Banned

^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, what he said!
Old 27-08-2008, 18:13   #9
krato871
Inactive

thanks! option 4 was dialup, 3 is broadband should I choose 3? ^_^ I'm just on hold now...
Old 27-08-2008, 18:21   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Nooo 150 (Customer Services), not 151 (Technical Support/Faults)
Old 27-08-2008, 18:44   #11
Zhadnost
Inactive

Services: XXL Broadband, Phone
Zhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really nice

Err, if he buys his own cable (or makes one up), and his own splitter, wouldn't he be contravening the terms of his contract?
Zhadnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 19:14   #12
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

Quote:
Is there anyway to get through to english support?
And what is wrong with the Scottish support?

You could also call tech support and have a tech sent out, you actually need 1 splitter, 2 cables and 4 connectors. Apparently you can get it in B&Q but I would suggest getting VM to sort it.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 19:22   #13
krato871
Inactive

Wow, just got off the phone, (no offence to scottish support or anything, i should say british =P my bad) I was put through to about 15 people! transferred to so many departments, and put on hold about 30 times! Finally got hold of a supervisor who's sending a technician out for me tomorrow free of charge and there crediting my account with £10... le sigh! I only wanted a starter pack!!!! thanks so much for all your help ^_^ I'll probably be back tomorrow when the bleeding thing won't connect to the internet lol
Old 27-08-2008, 19:23   #14
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
And what is wrong with the Scottish support?

You could also call tech support and have a tech sent out, you actually need 1 splitter, 2 cables and 4 connectors. Apparently you can get it in B&Q but I would suggest getting VM to sort it.
Its £30 for a Tech Install better to get the correct kit sent out.
Old 27-08-2008, 19:23   #15
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

More likely that you'll be back tomorrow when the engineer doesn't turn up
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote