Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BPI/Virgin letters.....Who's had them

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BPI/Virgin letters.....Who's had them

Old 06-08-2008, 13:41   #1
madpro
Inactive

madpro is an unknown quantity at this point
BPI/Virgin letters.....Who's had them

I would be interested to know how many people on here have had one of these letters and if so do they use peerguardian or some such software. It would be interesting to know if this kind of software worked.

Does anyone on here use peerguardian and if so do you download music and have you had a letter?
madpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2008, 13:46   #2
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation
Re: BPI/Virgin letters.....Who's had them

Peer-guardian relies on ip lists to block connections, it's so well know that I wouldn't rely on it to give any kind of protection. It's too easy for the BPI investigators to test their own ip's against the application or just use any random isp or 3G phone connection to get around it.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 14:04   #3
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

probably wont work, in the case of torrents your IP will still be listed on the tracker and once the BPI have verified the torrent's contents, they'll just grab the list of IPs off the tracker and contact the owners
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21   #4
xspeedyx

I use PG2 AND TORRENTS AND TOUCH WOOD NEVER BEEN COURT

sorry about the caps
Old 07-08-2008, 09:36   #5
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Well my ip on torrents is lsited as 240.240.240.240 nothing to do with my ip, btw i dnt download music just hide my ip so it does give a hacker anything ot try hack.
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:19   #6
Thunderballs
Inactive

Thunderballs is an unknown quantity at this point

Not the same issue as my problem and letter were to do with email - but it is all in the same area of isp turned policeman, judge and jury. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...for-abuse.html
Thunderballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:24   #7
Horace
©Beam Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
Well my ip on torrents is lsited as 240.240.240.240 nothing to do with my ip, btw i dnt download music just hide my ip so it does give a hacker anything ot try hack.
Unless you're going through a proxy (which includes I2P/Tor) which is usually really really slow, your real ip is visible to the person you're downloading and uploading from/to irrelevant of what you may 'think'.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36   #8
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Unless you're going through a proxy (which includes I2P/Tor) which is usually really really slow, your real ip is visible to the person you're downloading and uploading from/to irrelevant of what you may 'think'.
I can assure it is not, only the torrent and tracker both report the ip above or what i choose. i have tested it from various locations to see if it exists the remotely changed the ip and hay presto it changes.

BTW it is not a proxy i am using it a direct connection that goes through a very smart firewall some of the advantages of being really good at networking.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18   #9
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
correct

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:30   #10
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can assure it is not, only the torrent and tracker both report the ip above or what i choose. i have tested it from various locations to see if it exists the remotely changed the ip and hay presto it changes.

BTW it is not a proxy i am using it a direct connection that goes through a very smart firewall some of the advantages of being really good at networking.
so how do people connect to you then?
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 18:56   #11
Horace
©Beam Software

You do know that an IP is fundamental to the way TCP and UDP work? Each packet has to know where to go else it will end up dropped. It needs an address in the same way a letter needs an address, there's no magic involved and no way around it.
Old 08-08-2008, 19:15   #12
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

DC Hub, old IRC hub?
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 20:49   #13
psyfur
Inactive

Services: VM 10Meg + Epic life skillz
psyfur is an unknown quantity at this point

@ OP

40G a night on usenet and no letter, but then again the postie round here is not that reliable...
psyfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 21:02   #14
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
You do know that an IP is fundamental to the way TCP and UDP work? Each packet has to know where to go else it will end up dropped. It needs an address in the same way a letter needs an address, there's no magic involved and no way around it.
Well you go explain how it works then i can assure it works i have tested it and it works fine, at the end of the day the ip translate to my ip but not on the tracker or the client machine looking at it.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
DC Hub, old IRC hub?
If you are refering to my connection it aint anything special it virgin . If oyu mean teh firewall it combanation of ipcop and irc hub not as one though be bugger to configure ipcop for that

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post
so how do people connect to you then?
As expained above because my visible translate to my ip but at osi level 3 the thoery behind is way complex to much for me to explain or understand myself i jsut know how to do it in pratice.
Old 08-08-2008, 21:05   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Andrew, this is fascinating - didn't know this could be done, as the IP address is the unique ID to allow packets to be delivered.

I will ask my Network team (12 strong) about this on Monday, because if any of our students are doing this, it will probably breech JANET regulations - thanks for the heads-up. And if they are puzzled, I can always pass it to some of the Profs/Lecturers, who teach this stuff, and work with Nortel in designing network equipment.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote