Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Performance Issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband Performance Issue

Old 05-08-2008, 23:14   #1
mkyle1
Inactive

mkyle1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Broadband Performance Issue

Hi,

my broadband seems to be running very slowly recently. I had an issue 2 weeks ago where I lost service completly and had to phone the help desk. Eventually I was advised the freq on the config tab was incorrect. This was corrected and set to 331000000. I found this was the issue again yesterday and corrected it however it is still running very slow see speed test results below:

Modem - Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable Modem
Speedcheck.
Download 1216 kbps
Upload 489 kbps

I am paying for the Large package (10mb £25 a month) I checked on the Virgin site and the upgrade has been made in my area (Dumbarton - Comes under Uddingston region). Please can someone advise

Thanks, Martin
mkyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2008, 00:28   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Broadband Performance Issue

to the site. If I'm not very much mistaken, your cable modem is absolutely ancient. How long have you had it?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 00:52   #3
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

This was my old modem.

We upgraded to all XLs for £60 a month.
They upgraded the broadband speed, but an engineer had to come and install the TV and do something with the phone line.
They then said that the Motorola Box doesnt support the speed and to ring them up. Rung up and then in a few days (very quick I think) a new box came.
Its a black Virgin Media box very very small, and came with a plastic spanner.
Had to activate it over the phone (didn't work at first) and then the send and recieve light turned on and broadband now 20mbps.

Theres a little story for you lol.
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:49   #4
sstainer
Inactive

Services: VIP package
sstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to sstainer

i'd call faults report it, as it is old and a replacement is long overdue
sstainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:48   #5
mkyle1
Inactive

mkyle1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Broadband Performance Issue

Hi,

thanks for the replies. I suspected it may be the modem as it is 6 years old (had it since I moved into my house). Will phone them today and ask for a replacement

Thanks, Martin
mkyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:51   #6
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkyle1 View Post
Hi,

thanks for the replies. I suspected it may be the modem as it is 6 years old (had it since I moved into my house). Will phone them today and ask for a replacement

Thanks, Martin
I second this. btw
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:10   #7
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

SB4200 should handle the speed ok, from memory and also according to Motorola - http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...Data_Sheet.pdf has the maximum d/l rate at 38Mbps - that said it only appears to be DOCSIS 1.1, however I'm sure I've seen them doing 20Mb.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 19:37   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
SB4200 should handle the speed ok, from memory and also according to Motorola - http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...Data_Sheet.pdf has the maximum d/l rate at 38Mbps - that said it only appears to be DOCSIS 1.1, however I'm sure I've seen them doing 20Mb.
Not flamin' likely. When they rolled out 20meg there was a lot of chatter on here about the fact that NTL (as was) was reluctant to upgrade modems, even though only the newer NTL:250s were able to cope with it.

There really oughtn't to be any of the old grandpa modems (Motorola Surfboards, Terayon Terajets and arguably any NTL or VM branded unit with a number less than 200) left in posession of any subs who are taking a service faster than their modem is rated for.
Old 06-08-2008, 19:53   #9
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

The Motorola SB4200 is actually 20mb capable, we do get customers ringing in getting full speeds without a problem.

If the is an obvious problem then they are replaced.
Old 06-08-2008, 20:32   #10
Zhadnost
Inactive

Services: XXL Broadband, Phone
Zhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
There really oughtn't to be any of the old grandpa modems (Motorola Surfboards, Terayon Terajets and arguably any NTL or VM branded unit with a number less than 200) left in posession of any subs who are taking a service faster than their modem is rated for.

My NTL:120 is running fine on 20MBit (and yes, I doo get the full speed through it).
Zhadnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 20:43   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

This is all very odd, there was a huge bru-ha-ha on here when 20meg was rolled out because so many of the modems couldn't handle it. Has there been some sort of software fix since then? At the time, NTL were only reluctantly swapping out modems, and then in many cases they were trying to treat it as a non-fault job and charge for the call-out.
Old 06-08-2008, 21:18   #12
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhadnost View Post
My NTL:120 is running fine on 20MBit (and yes, I doo get the full speed through it).
I would advise you to call Tech Support to get your modem swapped for an Ambit 256 as that NTL120 is an antique and sooner rather than later it is going to die with 20mb running through it.
----------------------

ntl:home Series 100, 120, 200
The ntl:home series was manufactured to ntl:'s specification by a leading Far Eastern electronics manufacturer, Ambit. All models are both Ethernet and USB.
All do support 10Mbps Tier of Service, provided that they are used with an "003" or greater version of firmware.

---------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below which is from a dedicated server within the Virgin Media network, hence the is no www. before the address.

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running> times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.
-----------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Quote:
This is all very odd, there was a huge bru-ha-ha on here when 20meg was rolled out because so many of the modems couldn't handle it. Has there been some sort of software fix since then? At the time, NTL were only reluctantly swapping out modems, and then in many cases they were trying to treat it as a non-fault job and charge for the call-out.
The Motorola SB4200, 5100 and 5101e are all 20mb capable it is only the SB3100 and 4100 that are not.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:23   #13
Thunderballs
Inactive

Thunderballs is an unknown quantity at this point

I knoiw i had to specifically ask for my SB to be replaced when I had my latest installation of V+. To my mind a customer thats stuck wit them for long enough for a modem to become fairly outdated should have the latest model automatically.
Thunderballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58   #14
Pontiac
Inactive

Pontiac is an unknown quantity at this point

I must say that I have exactly the same modem as the op (SB4200) and I've never had any problems with it and it can easily sustain a full 20mbps.
Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 21:48   #15
deed02392
Inactive

deed02392 will become famous soon enoughdeed02392 will become famous soon enoughdeed02392 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Regarding your sig...

The irony in the lack of apostrophe is hilarious.
deed02392 is offline   Reply With Quote