Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys Modem & Virgin Cable..........

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys Modem & Virgin Cable..........

Old 29-07-2008, 20:07   #1
carlitos
Inactive

carlitos is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys Modem & Virgin Cable..........

I have been upgraded from 4mb to 10mb by Virgin. The problem though is with my wireless router the linksys WRT54GS (version 6) it only gives me a speed of just over 3mb even though I am in the same room as the router.

It doesnt drop out or anything like that it is stable but it wont give me any were near 10mb eventhough I do get it when I plug my laptop directly into the Virgin Media 255 modem.

I have spoke to linksys they suggested some changes that didn't work.

Can anyone please help me set this up so I can take advantage of the new speed?
carlitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2008, 22:23   #2
laxity
Inactive

laxity is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Linksys Modem & Virgin Cable..........

Try disabling QoS if you have it enabled.
laxity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 23:35   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Is the firmware on the router current?

When you are talking of speed via the router, is this wired or wireless that is slow?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 00:10   #4
carlitos
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Is the firmware on the router current?

When you are talking of speed via the router, is this wired or wireless that is slow?
It is the latest software. It is the wireless which is slow, I have just tried a wired connection and it is fine.

QOS not enabled.

thanks
Old 30-07-2008, 13:14   #5
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

go to the wireless section and turn off a,b wireless mode connections and select g-only mode. see if that wakes it up.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 18:51   #6
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

You can always look in to custom firmware such as Tomato or DDWRT, that helped me a lot over the stock Linksys firmware. Never had any issues with either firmware
InsaneNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 19:07   #7
carlitos
Inactive

i have tried just the g-mode and it hasnt made to much of a difference I am getting a speed between 3.5mb-4mb no matter the mode. I think it might be the wireless card it as a belkin F5D7010.

Mr Nutter do you beleive this will cure my problem?
Old 30-07-2008, 20:35   #8
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Temporally try disabling encryption. If that speeds things up then the router isn't up to the job CPU wise, or your card isn't up to it software wise.

Leave it on G mode, its faster. B is 11Mbps, G is 54Mbps.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 23:36   #9
EssDee
cf.addict

Services: VIP120 with TiVo
EssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really nice

Have you tried using a different wireless channel? Nearby wireless kit on the same channel may cause some conflict.

I also concur with using a 3rd party firmware. I have a WRT54G v5 on DD-WRT which upped my wireless speed dramatically. You should get more than 4Mb on the stock firmware though.
EssDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:13   #10
corf
Inactive

corf is an unknown quantity at this point

B mode is approx 5.5mb max in each direction. This is halved if you have more than 1 wireless client connected.

G mode is approx 23mb in each directon, Again this is halved for every additional wireless connection.

Using WDS will count as a wireless client and half your bandwidth too.

I use tomato 1.21 on my wrt54gs v1.1 and get about 5.5mb with B and 9.8mb with G using a single wireless client on my 10mb (L) service. If I recall correctly v5 or V6 doesnt run on Linux so you cant change the firmware to DD-WRT or tomato.
corf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:22   #11
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

From memory, those run vxworks but I thought I saw something on the DD-WRT WIKI about vxworkskiller and the ability to put mini versions of the firmwares on them.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote