Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How long does it take for speed upgrade?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How long does it take for speed upgrade?

Old 26-07-2008, 23:28   #1
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future
How long does it take for speed upgrade?

Hi Guys and Gals
I upgraded from 2mb to 20mb on Friday morning, the guy at Virgin said it would take 1 - 2 days to upgrade, however Ive done a speed test tonight and its still showing at 2mb, how long does it usually take??

Has anyone got a better speed tester which will show me speed just to be certain?

I might need peoples help on this one please.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Whoops wrong section can someone move it to internet please.
Thanks!
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2008, 23:53   #2
johnnyposs
Baldie Bouncer

Services: 10mb BB
johnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about themjohnnyposs has a spectacular aura about them
Re: How long does it take for speed upgrade?

Have you rebooted your cable modem.
johnnyposs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 01:21   #3
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

When I upgraded from 2mb to 20mb it was done instantly, by the time I put the phone down then went to speedtest.net I was getting around 10mb, it took about five minuets before it settled at the 19.5mb mark.

frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 03:22   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

I remember when I upgraded from 2Mb to 4Mb back in the day, it was done over the phone and I saw my modem reboot itself as I was talking to the gal on the other end

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 08:38   #5
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

this post needs moving up.
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 12:30   #6
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyposs View Post
Have you rebooted your cable modem.
Yup rebooted over 7 times since the upgrade. I think I might have to call them, are some of the online speed tests un-reliable?
Old 27-07-2008, 12:35   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

What does the OPERATIONAL CONFIG page on the modem say for downstream and upstream data rates??

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 13:10   #8
pop80_uk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
What does the OPERATIONAL CONFIG page on the modem say for downstream and upstream data rates??

Kymmy
Wheres that please?
Thanks
Old 27-07-2008, 13:18   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

http://192.168.100.1 username and password is I think root (user for the business modems, it tells you in the top left)

Go to OPERATIONAL CONFIG and copy/paste the info there.

DO NOT post IP's, Serial numbers or MAC numbers

Kymmy
Old 27-07-2008, 13:21   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop80_uk View Post
Whoops wrong section can someone move it to internet please.
Thanks!

Done.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 14:22   #11
pop80_uk
Inactive

Quote:
http://192.168.100.1 username and password is I think root (user for the business modems, it tells you in the top left)

Go to OPERATIONAL CONFIG and copy/paste the info there.

DO NOT post IP's, Serial numbers or MAC numbers

Kymmy
Here you go, be very interested to hear what it means.
Thanks

Network Access : AllowedMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600Maximum Number of CPEs : 1Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled
Old 27-07-2008, 14:24   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

OK according to that data you're on a 20Mb config.

Do you have a router between you and the modem?? If so what's your speedtest results saying for the direct (no router) connection?

Also which modem is it as not all will cope with 20Mb throughput?

Kymmy
Old 27-07-2008, 14:30   #13
pop80_uk
Inactive

Quote:
OK according to that data you're on a 20Mb config.

Do you have a router between you and the modem?? If so what's your speedtest results saying for the direct (no router) connection?

Also which modem is it as not all will cope with 20Mb throughput?

Kymmy
I do have a router its a linksys one, I will have to have a check on the direct router result, although Im getting 10mb on the speedtest now.

I have a blue modem NTL one. clear see through blue plastic.

Any help??
Thanks again!
Old 27-07-2008, 14:36   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

The modem should have a sticker on it with at least a model number (DO NOT PUBLISH THE MAC NUMBER as that might also be on a sticker)

As you are using a router I'd see about the latest firmware for it, also there is a TCP/IP optomization program that is recommended by VM, not sure of the link but I'm sure that someone will post it soon

Kymmy
Old 27-07-2008, 14:39   #15
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop80_uk View Post
I do have a router its a linksys one, I will have to have a check on the direct router result, although Im getting 10mb on the speedtest now.

I have a blue modem NTL one. clear see through blue plastic.

Any help??
Thanks again!
Thats an NTL250 as no other modem fits that description.

It is 20Mb capable so try a speed test without the router.

----------------------------

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below which is from a dedicated server within the Virgin Media network, hence the is no www. before the address.

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running> times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

-----------------------------------------

You could try this below if you are on XP.

TCP Optimiser is actually on the Virginmedia website click on this link and read about it.

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...anced_optimise

Then the link to the Speedguide site

www.speedguide.net.

Or the link direct to the Optimiser.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could try this below if you are on Vista

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=2574